Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kresty's Starship
[Image: normal_Zig_Zag_Wall_28229.jpg]

[Image: normal_Zig_Zag_Wall_28129.jpg]
Zig Zag's on the screen wall.  Screen will go about 1/2way between points and back wall.  We wanted more "black" around the screen because it'll fill the wall, and needed some sort of transition to the rest of the room.
Looks good!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
That's crazy lookin!
(05-03-2020, 09:12 AM)savagecreature Wrote: That's crazy lookin!

Yea, I'm hoping it'll look OK when we're using it.  

The screen will only have an inch or so black border, and then there's the wall (or ceiling), so the light spilling over was almost certainly going to be a problem.  Obvious answer would be to "extend the border" by painting the walls black, but where to stop was tricky.

I was trying to figure out if some sort of transition might work and just slapped some gray shapes into sketchup, not really expecting that they'd look OK.  But after almost no tweaking it seemed like it'd look decent.  Hard part was then taking that pattern on the wall and trying to figure out how to get something balancing it on the ceiling.

Not sure how it'll fit completely with the "starship" theme, but the #1 use of the room is to watch movies, so that is important.  Something squarer or more machine like might be too distracting.

I think our starship owner is ending up more like a Lando than a Han.
Got the new screen installed.  Wow, it's so very different than the experience we used to have.

Middle picture is when I was painting the floor, so the seats are out of the way.

The reflections on the ceiling look far worse in the photo, we're having no issues watching with the small bleed. (That's what the flat black is for and it seems to mostly be doing it's job).

[Image: normal_New_Screen.jpg]

[Image: normal_New_Screen_28129.jpg]

[Image: normal_New_Screen_28229.jpg]
This was a little in the last post, but I wanted to show it off a little more. We spent a while shopping for a replacement rug for the one soaked in the flood.

We thought this looked like it could be an ancient star chart. The theme we're aiming for is an intergalactic trader/collector, so that fits with our goal.

Anyway, we thought it was fun.

We spent more effort on this than the last rugs we bought to cover the floor for the disabled dog. That was seeing the rug display at Costco and saying "hey, does this look like something we can live with?" This rug was at an actual rug store (pre-COVID) browsing through the hanging rugs while the sales lady tried to figure out what we were aiming for.

It's one of the first things we replaced, but its been rolled up against a wall for the last couple months since we didn't want to mess it up with drywall dust and paint. Now all that's done and the floor and walls there painted, so we finally got to put it out! Smile

[Image: normal_Rug_28329.jpg]

[Image: normal_Rug_28229.jpg]

[Image: normal_Rug_28129.jpg]
Wire channels

[Image: normal_Wires_Close_to_Done.jpg]
Kresty's Starship Wire Channel Stuff
Wire channels and details (mostly) done.

[Image: normal_Passageway_Closer_to_Done~0.jpg]

[Image: normal_Wire_Routes.jpg]

The last part is an older pix, missing a few corners, but still has the idea.

Originally the thought was one channel per wire, but it seemed too busy, particularly in the rear, so the subwoofer shares a channel up front. The HDMI gets it's own channel, but the 4 rear speakers share the other two rear channels.

I'm fairly please with it, which, I guess, is what counts.
Inferno watching Star Trek Discovery...

You can't see it there, but we were trying out the top/bottom masking panels for the first time.  They're magnetic and manually installed.  We made a spot for them under the screen.

Where the panels get stored - we have drape hanging over the last few inches.

Lara trying to prove the panels can be removed (they're strong magnets)!

Better And better! It looks like a really fun space.
Thumbs Up 
(05-30-2020, 10:03 AM)savagecreature Wrote: Better And better! It looks like a really fun space.

We didn't recognize it the first time we watched stuff, it was kind of unreal.  Nice now.  Still waiting on the seats to be replaced, ordered before stuff shut down and they're apparently stuck in Canada somewhere.  

Still trying to get parts for the remainder of the cabinet stuff from Ikea, but their logistics have tanked.  Need to get that straightened out so we can get the droid display spots to behave.