Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kresty's Starship
Well, our theater room was flooded with 6" of water....  So that means we now get to make a themed spaces for our droids, right?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=391]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=392]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=393]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Which means we can remodel?

Just a very very rough initial start of our thinking:

[Image: normal_Rough_Decoration.png]

[Image: normal_Rough_Decoration_2.png]

[Image: normal_Rough_Decoration_3.png]
Rough Thinking of a Themed Room
We're toying with the idea of how to redecorate.
Oh No! I'm so sorry! That's just awful.
(03-01-2020, 09:49 PM)savagecreature Wrote: Oh No! I'm so sorry! That's just awful.

Yea, it's a big pain in the neck.  But, OTOH, the design was an eclectic mess of mismatched stuff.  So, we're looking forward to making the space better.  

Even things like the projection screen were what we had from our old house, and not really perfect for the space.

Since we're deciding on this approach, we'll have a place to put the droids (and out of the UV daylight), which currently are scattered everywhere.
I'm so sorry that this happened, but I like the attitude you're having about it. 

A quick question though:
Are you going to go full Star Ship, all out Cantina, or just mix up a bunch of cool ideas for the final design? I'm curious since my basement is unfinished, and am seeking ideas.
(03-06-2020, 04:05 PM)MDC Wrote: I'm so sorry that this happened, but I like the attitude you're having about it. 

A quick question though:
Are you going to go full Star Ship, all out Cantina, or just mix up a bunch of cool ideas for the final design? I'm curious since my basement is unfinished, and am seeking ideas.

I'm happy for ideas too.  We looked up various images on Bing, looking for Theater rooms (considering making it more like a theater with collectibles) and other themed rooms.  

Since the space is pretty obviously 'not' something in the 'Falcon or whatnot, we decided to go more generic.  Worse for the Star Wars theme is that Lara wants to build K-9, who isn't exactly Star Wars.  

So.. We decided we're some sort of traveling collector.  The ship will be kinda generic, but inspired by things we liked, not just from Star Wars, but elsewhere.  Eg:  It could pop up in a Mandalorian episode... or a trader that Picard runs in to... or whatever.

Additionally, we don't want to compromise the "movie" experience, and there's a model train layout in the back corner (We've decided he can collect that too).  

So far, this is the most important thing I've learned about this project: Have a plan.

It's sort of obvious, but his previous incarnation was an eclectic mess of cool ideas. So he's redoing everything with a plan in mind.

So, we're trying to figure out what kinds of things are realistic for what we're trying to do and the practical use of the space, and so we're trying to come up with some design rules to support a coherent story.

Some things are limited - like we can't be too busy or bright by the screen. I'm toying with the idea of some exposed speaker drivers to look less like home entertainment speakers and more like industrial ship stuff - and so if we end up going with non-black ones, maybe using that color to accent other details.

We bought a kinda cool rug and decided on the color for the theater seats. Basically lots of stuff is ending up neutral - black, white or grey, so that it works with whatever accents we do.

W
I'm not trying to make a "perfect" model, but it's worth mocking some things up.  We decided to do some in-wall storage inspired by some access panels/whatnot on the Enterprise D, such as on the bridge.  Lightsabers are a placeholder for some sort of wall display.

Here's a couple variations we played with.  Eventually the oval bits would be some sort of display/handle thingy.

With the drawings, we can get an idea of what's close.  The black door would be a backlit display case, showing stuff when lit, dark when unlit.  (Same door as our 3D printer cabinet).  Also toying with the visual impact of different sizes of drawers.  (Short drawers might be better to store train layout stuff - but I fear the handles are too busy.)

And the thing it's based on:

We actually went down to Ikea and picked up some tall cabinets, but we screwed up.  A better picture would've helped.  We had 30" of space on the right side, so we got a 30" cabinet (there's a post in the wall behind the black bar, so that can't move).  Unfortunately it looks terrible if it's right up against the wall &/or ceiling.

As mentioned, we're considering copper-y accents.  Maybe having pads around the doors kinda like the falcon (and pretending the space between a post and a wall is such a door).  Checking 3" tall half-rounds vs 1" tall square ones as well.

Our wiring needs replaced as well. We're thinking that instead of in-wall, we may be blatantly on-wall to look like machine parts. Again playing with the coppery accent color. Where they ran into components like the ceiling speakers or something we could add junction boxes with blinky lights so they looked like important spaceship things.

Slight update, installed some cabinets per the aforementioned plan.

[Image: normal_Cabinet_Start.jpg]
Cabinet Start in Room Wall
Working to make more sci-fi storage instead of the dresser and shelves we had before.  Putting storage in the wall.  (Actually the space behind that wall was poorly utilized storage, so this is *way* better)

Ok, well, "almost installed".  We changed our mind a couple times so don't have quite the right parts, and it still needs to be aligned.

I'm gonna have to "do something" about that furnace intake.
well, at least there's less water on the floor.

I look forward to seeing this develop.