Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kresty's Starship
(03-10-2020, 12:56 PM)savagecreature Wrote: well, at least there's less water on the floor.
Yea, I'm feeling like the basement's drier than before!

(03-10-2020, 12:56 PM)savagecreature Wrote: I look forward to seeing this develop.
Me too!
Thing's have been moving slowly, so I haven't posted updates in a bit, however here's a little bit:

Our rear speakers (5.4.1 or maybe 2) are restricted to the post.  The spot is really awkward, so I thought I'd try Polk's front/center speaker in that location, so that it doesn't jump into the room.  (The old dipoles were really bulky.)

To get an appropriate position/angle, I 3D printed some mounts, which we then sprayed with our accent color.  

We'll have tracks for the speaker wire eventually, but that's not done yet.

Additionally, you can see part of the lights that we replaced the old sconces with.  Much more space-shipy.
In-wall cabinet's also getting better.  It's pretty much "done for now".  Eventually we'll want to probably add some "control panels" for opening them, but that'll probably be near (or after) "the end" of the project.

[Image: normal_20200410_201436.jpg]
In-Wall Storage Cabinet
Aesthetically it's complete, except for the computer-ish handles (which'll probably be about the last thing).
Display area is starting to take shape.  This is where the receiver will hang out, along with some shelves/cabinets for storage and display.

No door fronts/drawers because Ikea's ordering system was silly, they didn't have hinges or drawers and instead of backordering, they just said "no."  And due to COVID-19 the order got totally redirected and took weeks longer than we'd expected.  (I ordered before the lockdown, and could've driven to the local store to pick up, but they said it'd be delivered in a few days.  Then the lockdown was announced and we blanked that it'd impact our order.  Somehow they sent it anyway -- from California?!?!?)

Pedestals for the droids will probably be a long time coming.

[Image: normal_Display_Area.jpg]
Display Area Starting to take shape
Obviously it's missing a lot, but it's starting...
We also built a storage space in the ceiling.  The ceiling line jumps out on one edge by 8" / 20cm or so, which made me wonder about aircraft overhead bins.  By continuing the line, we got a place to stick some blu-rays.  On the left is a little shelf, maybe we can display something else.

[Image: normal_Ceiling_Storage.jpg]
Overhead Bin
We had a funny place where the ceiling changed direction.  Which made me think of an airplane overhead bin.
Also, recently, I started rounding some of the corners, where we're planning on putting the "bumper"-y things. A bit of drywall work is required, and we have other spaces that need drywall attention, so this'll probably take a while to show progress.

[Image: normal_Curves.jpg]
Rounding corners
Not quite as round as I'd planned, but this shape was easier.
Blood sacrifice... well, at least I have the right bandages.

[Image: Blood_Sacrifice.jpg]
Every project needs a blood sacrifice

New knife doing what I wasn't supposed to trying to shave a little off the cardboard arches so they'd fit smoother to the walls.

The bandages are kinda a funny story (depending on your point of view I suppose).  Background:  My mother in law totally hates the way I collect stuff.  I couldn't find a bandage in the house a couple months ago, so I wanted to order some themed bandages.  I found a box on Amazon for like $7 (I forget the amount).... or I could get 24 boxes for $20.

I did the obvious thing and got an earful when my mother in law saw all the boxes.  (I've repackaged them so they're much more compact now, and hidden a bunch).

Lara's glad I'm finally using them.  Not so sure about her priorites.
By some of the "entrances", we'll have rounded bumpers inspired by the falcon corridors.  We've decided on a "copper" accent theme though:

By the back door I wanted the bumper/arch effect, but the door molding makes it tricky, had to cut the arch parts carefully to fit.  Unfortunately the bumper things will also need a lot of work Sad

The edges will be rounded where the bumpers go.  We have a post, so we're making that look like a "passageway" - Not sure what Lara's doing.

[Image: normal_Not_Sure.jpg]
Working on our Starship Movie Room

A lot of work to drywall it, getting close though.

[Image: normal_PassageWay_Mudded.jpg]
The arch effect is much nicer at the hall at the bottom of the stairs.  

[Image: normal_Gangway_28229.jpg]

[Image: normal_Gangway_28129.jpg]

The arches aren't done yet, but the mudding of them is going easier than I expected.
Blaster Damage!

[Image: normal_Blaster.jpg]
Blaster Damage