Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Paul's Treadwell
Hey Xingshen71,

The droid is relatively light, I think it is in the 50 to 60 pounds range. I will be posting more info and pictures this weekend. I will look up the specific motor as well.
Bot Builder
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@PaulsBots
The next big change was to the drive system. I was really trying to manage the torque and ended up originally making everything extra beefy. Big motors, high amps ESC and everything was under a lot of tension. When I revisited this, I knew I would be operating the droid on either smooth floors or dirt. So, everything got simplified. 

[img]<a data-flickr-embed=[/img][Image: 51925147543_28b0ecb09f_c.jpg]" />
The motors were swapped out for planetary gear motors connected directly to the drive wheels.  

Additionally, the drive wheel was modified with sprockets. This allowed the drive wheel to hook the new 3D printed center guide on the tracks.

[img]<a data-flickr-embed=[/img][Image: 51856391012_0cbf552da4_c.jpg]" />

The new track parts are riveted like the original.

[img]<a data-flickr-embed=[/img][Image: 51857429598_3fdbbf4075_c.jpg]" />

[img]<a data-flickr-embed=[/img][Image: 51856391042_da64f650e8_c.jpg]" />

Here is the test of the new drive system in a more appropriate location. 

That looks wonderful. Nothing more satisfying that getting a droid to actually move.
It seems to handle the terrain just fine
Rough surfaces like concrete and asphalt are not great as there is far more friction.
Here is the full movement test.

Only one thing left to do, build another one. Confused
That's cool!
Very nice!
Looking real good!

Great vid !
It's great to see someone who knows not to 'over drive' when demonstrating their droid. Nice work! It's so cool to see some of the more obscure droids come to life.
(03-07-2022, 08:26 PM)Paul6700 Wrote: The next big change was to the drive system. I was really trying to manage the torque and ended up originally making everything extra beefy. Big motors, high amps ESC and everything was under a lot of tension. When I revisited this, I knew I would be operating the droid on either smooth floors or dirt. So, everything got simplified. 

[img]<a data-flickr-embed=[/img][Image: 51925147543_28b0ecb09f_c.jpg]" />
The motors were swapped out for planetary gear motors connected directly to the drive wheels.  

Additionally, the drive wheel was modified with sprockets. This allowed the drive wheel to hook the new 3D printed center guide on the tracks.

[img]<a data-flickr-embed=[/img][Image: 51856391012_0cbf552da4_c.jpg]" />

The new track parts are riveted like the original.

[img]<a data-flickr-embed=[/img][Image: 51857429598_3fdbbf4075_c.jpg]" />

[img]<a data-flickr-embed=[/img][Image: 51856391042_da64f650e8_c.jpg]" />

Here is the test of the new drive system in a more appropriate location. 

The pictures don’t seem to show??
Was after them for details about the motors, to keep things in mind for the base build next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R5-D4 UK Builder club member.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid