Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BB-8 want-to-build thread (apparently I'm calling him BB-8)
BB-8 
Well, more tests.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNe_ncG_K80 - which inspired some comments on facebook, like "why not stop with a static droid?"

I confess I find myself somewhat at a loss to how to respond to that remark  Confused  - I'd rather not have "a mess", however it didn't take that long to repair.  "Only" 3 panels fell off... the annoying part was that a couple pealed their edges away as well, that was 10 of the 20 minutes to fix.

I guess it's kind of like climbing Everest. I'm at base camp and I'd really like to get to the summit. It may prove impossible (more impossible?) but I have to try...

For those questioning my sanity, this isn't even the hard part.  I'm not at all concerned that I'll be able to get the sphere to roll.

The first roll test showed that the sphere is "round enough" (& stable enough when it gets Kragle'd).  This second test, short though it was, demonstrated that an axle centered on the triangles should be aesthetically pleasing.  Three panels fell apart, but without most of the internal structure expected to support the final model that isn't surprising. (He needs more 3D printed panels, and, of course, the Kragle!)

Where I'm afraid the obstacles may become insurmountable is getting the head to smoothly slide over the dome.  THAT's going to be the hard part!

I have a fallback plan to make him approachable if that fails, and even if the rolling ball works, he's likely going to be limited by terrain and in speed.

Messages In This Thread
Lego BB-8 Panel 1 (getting close) - by kresty - 12-12-2015, 01:02 AM
First Full Sphere - by kresty - 12-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Almost done static! - by kresty - 12-17-2015, 06:50 PM
RE: BB-8 want-to-build thread (apparently I'm calling him BB-8) - by kresty - 01-03-2016, 11:29 PM