Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BB-8 want-to-build thread (apparently I'm calling him BB-8)
Well, Este Meza was asking for updates too, so I guess I'll start trying to keep a blog up-to-date too... http://bb-8.blogspot.com
I seem to have stalled a bit, but trying to get back to figuring it out.... I don't have all the bricks figured out, but I need to order something if I want to built it, so I took the panel I had and multiplied x6 and added the head so far...

Wow, that's a lot of bricks. Apparently I need almost 1200 1x3 white plates, and nobody has those in any quantity (which means crazy shipping fees from multiple sellers), and when I do find them they're .20 each Sad So a few hundred just on this part and I need 89 (apparently) different parts (though this is the worst one) Sad

Trying to figure out if I can lower the count somehow. Maybe make the walls thinner and 3D print the inner sphere to connect to it? 3D filament is a lot cheaper.
Good stuff.

Here's a question:

What are a couple of dream Lego builds you always wanted to do? (something within reason... like an R1-G4 or a to-scale sandcrawler - not like an entire house made of Legos)

I don't build my own but I pick up sets once in a while. Although I've always wanted to make a rendition of my store's building. Just never remember to get photos of the outside. My horrible short-term memory.
Minifig scale cutaway version of the star destroyer would fit in brickcon's hall I think Smile

I've mostly built the things I've thought of, though there are ideas I've had, but not been excited enough about (CPU case or desk of Lego). A cool castle, but I'm not interested in building where I can't "compete" - I don't mean really "compete", but there are lots of cool castle builders, so I'd just be lost in the crowd. Don't have the energy to make Alice's Hogwarts or Rivendell and I don't want to build things that've been done 100x before.

And some things just "don't work" as well as I'd want them to: The full scale X-Wing of the Lego Model is impressive, but it's mechanical, missing detail that a full-scale real-X-Wing would have. So, yea, it's a mass of Lego, but its not great art.

Full-scale non-lego 'falcon as a house...
Here's a few ideas:

Star Wars: Larger scale (5 - 6 foot tall) cutaway Death Star or Death Star section

Lego figure scale Sandcrawler (about 2.75 feet long, scaled to a Lego figure)

Ghostbusters: Ghostbusters HQ

Raiders of the Lost Ark: Well of Souls

Empire Strikes Back: Hoth Attack or Cloud City

Back to the Future: Hill Valley town square

The Thing: Outpost #31 (with underground tunnel and Wilford Brimley with kung fu grip)

Reservoir Dogs: coffin warehouse

Robocop: Either full size or scaled down ED-209

Pacific Rim: Gipsy Danger or other Jaeger

Animal House: Delta House with Eat Me/Deathmobile car (I might actually try this one if I ever have time)

Maximum Overdrive: Green Goblin 18-wheeler

From Dusk Till Dawn: Titty Twister Bar with Winnebago

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: Canyon of the Crescent Moon exterior/traps/grail room

Tron: light cycle, tank, recognizer, Sark carrier, MCP

Christine: Plymouth Fury

WarGames: NORAD war room

GO!
Wow!  Get building!  

I like L3-G0 (& MCK-Y) because they're interactive.  And the Disney Wonder Cruise Ship because it has a story.  So I'm less keen on "just a diorama" type things... Some of those you could probably find MOCs of online maybe?

I'd like something Star Trek (Beside's L3-G0's Cosplay) but haven't figured out what.

[Image: B42xGHICEAAr2Vd.jpg]
Found 750 white plates Smile And several other bricks from building L3-G0. Stayed up 'til 4 (didn't realize it was that late) trying to order bricks. Maybe half done with that chore. Haven't had to pay for them yet....

Might shoot for a static build first?
(10-14-2015, 02:26 PM)kresty Wrote: Might shoot for a static build first?

Or forever?  I think getting legos to roll is . . . . a challenge.  Like backyard spaceship kinda challenge.
Kresty - have you ever tried a Gonk Droid Lego build?
(10-15-2015, 06:17 AM)deathproof Wrote: Kresty - have you ever tried a Gonk Droid Lego build?
L3-G0 & MCK-Y are our only droids so far....