Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Body diameter
I was thinking that the body must be close to Artoo's because they both fit in the same hole in an X-Wing.  However if there's a shroud for the normal Astromechs on the X-Wing, maybe they're skinnier?
sure. there can be many different ways that BB8 is a different size than regular astromechs. The hole could change size to accommodate the droid through some mechanical means or they could have just fudged it. It is a movie, after all. It's possible that the droid slot, if it were real, wouldn't be able both (either) of them.
There's a bigger discussion on the other forum, but I've decided on 1/2 meter. My measurements of photos, etc provide guesses from 19.7" - 20.5", and knowing that the builders are UK, I've been thinking they probably picked up a 0.5m sphere/hemisphere, or rounded off to 50cm. Might be a few mm more if they used that to vacuum form skins or something. 20" is close, maybe better if they put skins on a 50cm sphere. If I'm wrong I think it'll be on the small side and folks probably won't notice if he's 1/2" too skinny. Hoping I'm not off by 1" though.
I did some maths last night and came up with 500 to 505 mm. I'm thinking that 20 inches is close enough. For the time being, that's what I'll be going with.
(04-30-2015, 05:58 AM)savagecreature Wrote: I did some maths last night and came up with 500 to 505 mm.  I'm thinking that 20 inches is close enough. For the time being, that's what I'll be going with.

When I asked on chat, I meant the size of the orange rings Smile....  I've measured those to the best of my ability at ~60% of the diameter of the sphere (outer ring edge), and 45% of the sphere diameter (inner ring edge).  Mine may be a hair too fat because of the Lego limitation.

When measuring those I did it sort of like a flat projection from directly over the panel, not following the curve.

[Image: Annotated_Ring_Size.png]
This is what I came up with during my efforts:

[Image: normal_dimensions.jpg]

(I made the image last night and then forgot to give it to you. Sorry Kresty)
(04-30-2015, 12:21 PM)savagecreature Wrote: This is what I came up with during my efforts:

[Image: normal_dimensions.jpg]

(I made the image last night and then forgot to give it to you. Sorry Kresty)

Thanks!  Hmm, that's ~57%, slightly smaller than my 60%.  How high is your confidence?  Do you have a # for the Inner Diameter of that orange circle?