Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richard's 8D8
Smile 
So as well as being in the middle of building an R6 droid, I fancied turning my hand to something a little bit off the wall. Having found my sons old "Star Wars The Essential Guide to Droids" I thought I would have a go at a life size 8D8 robot from Jabbas palace.

Only having a front and side view and no scale just adds to the fun. Assuming that he would be around six foot tall, I plotted a blown up version of the views on squared paper and took my measurements accordingly.

The plan -(in it's most basic style)

Chest and head

A basic box style framework will be constructed and covered in Balsa wood. This will allow me to get the basic shape easily enough, and be as lightweight as possible. This will then be covered in car filler, and sanded to get the final shape and finish required. LED will be used in the eyes, The neck will be moulded from 8 stacked McFlurry ice cream pots from McDonalds (I'll just have to force them down)

Arms and legs

These will be constructed out of a variety of tubes and probably some polyurethane cast sections around the hips (not sure about this bit yet).

The plan is to have this as something to do whilst glues and resins are waiting to set on R6, or when I get bogged down on how to proceed.

Progress to date

The head is almost finished, a box was made as near as possible to the dimensions I had calculated. Some of the angles and twists in the face I couldn't quite work out, so ended up with a shape I was happy with. The front just needs small amounts of filler and sanding, whilst there is still a fair amount of filling and sanding and filling and sanding on the sides back and top. Then there are two side plates to make for the sides of his head. These I will make from plastic card, and probably make a mould and cast them.

So here are photo's of where I am up to. Smile Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You had said you didn't have any images of the back. I'm a compulsive researcher, so I started poking around. This is by no means definitive and of course is the simplified version for the Clone Wars,  but it might give you some ideas. (Or you can just ignore it! Smile)

[Image: torturedroid.jpg]
Any help gratefully received, and hadn't seen these before.

Cheers
This is such a challenging build. Did you make any more progress?