Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
He's real
Kresty created this in honor of your joining, Kurt! Feel free to use liberally and sprinkle about the forum!

BB-8         BB-8          BB-8
(02-18-2015, 08:13 PM)Kurt Zimmerman Wrote: There would be several different models for different scenes. Each round panel has a different design, the designs are actually outlines to opening compartments. The droid is said to carry a light saber, tools and some personal items- a self-propelled valet of sorts.

The round dots that are all over the outside is where a self-defense protruding spike system comes out, similar to a puffer fish. I think this little guy (most sites call it a 'she') is going to be the comic relief and the conduit for connecting the other characters, like R2 and C3PO were in the earlier films.

I figured the ports did stuff too.  Are you going to make it do stuff? 
I still need to get my wife to modify her sphero.
Kresty, Thanks for the GIFBB-8BB-8BB-8

My compartments won't be able to open because I need to keep the inside of the lower ball clear for the drive mechanism.

My project is temporarily stalled due to deep snow that I don't want to shovel between my house and back garage. I couldn't even get R2 to help, and Chopper is worthless, he grumbled all the time he was working on the back deck!

[Image: IMG_20150202_122024147_zpstnhuqycf.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150202_123609387_zpslr0vwceo.jpg]

I am assembling the components to experiment with a two-motor drive system, and five gyroscopes to balance the ball.

Kurt
Hmm, you need better behaved droids!

My thinking for the ball was that the inner drive car would have a single gizmo that could shove out a port in the ball.  Then I'd draw lines on the inside of the ball so that the car could detect the position of the outer ball, and therefore get to a position where a single opening port was aligned with the gizmo.  Of course that still leaves the challenge of figuring out how to make a port open and still have the inside smooth enough to drive on!