• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
He's real
Mark Hamill says BB-8 was real
http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/1...sical.html

Wow....
(12-12-2014, 01:32 PM)kresty Wrote: Mark Hamill says BB-8 was real
http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/1...sical.html

Wow....

Man. I'm always so hesitant to say anything, even when it's my own forum . . .

Having a live action version on set doesn't mean you ever get to see it on screen. A live action Iron Man suit was made for the first film. It was on set and worn by Downey. And it was completely replaced with a CG version before the film was released. It wasn't just enhanced, it was replaced.
I want it to be real almost as much as everyone else, but I won't believe it until I see it demonstrated. It looked CG to me. It's not just that I can't imagine how they did it, it's got that rendered look about it.

And actors and producers often say things that stretch the truth to appeal to the market.
I think it will be real sometimes (maybe when he not move so fast). In the Teaser Scene it's likely CG.
I think what we saw was all CG, and even if it was replaced everywhere in the final, they still had a "real" one. It must've done some stuff or Mark wouldn't have mentioned it. (Eg: it wasn't just a lamppost as a standin).

Too bad we don't know any builders to ask.
(12-12-2014, 11:09 PM)kresty Wrote: I think what we saw was all CG, and even if it was replaced everywhere in the final, they still had a "real" one. It must've done some stuff or Mark wouldn't have mentioned it. (Eg: it wasn't just a lamppost as a standin).

Too bad we don't know any builders to ask.

yeah. Well, too bad they won't answer us, anyway.
(12-13-2014, 08:26 AM)savagecreature Wrote: yeah. Well, too bad they won't answer us, anyway.
Patience young padawan.
There are some things Mark Hamill said in his interview, and there are some things he DIDN'T say.
He didn't say it was remote control.
He didn't say it moved under its own power.

He did say- They let me play around with it. [Laughs] I was running it all around at the creature shop up in Pinewood.

I spent weeks chasing down every bit of information on this thing before I started building.

It is my belief that the BB-8 that was in the teaser trailer was indeed a physical prop. I believe it was shot against a green screen, and the model had a long pole that extended out behind it, and came into it from the opposite side of the camera, like a ten-foot pole with a right angle that entered the backside of the prop. The head turning was controlled by cables. It would have been pushed alongside a traveling camera dolly, then the background was added later.

There would be several different models for different scenes. Each round panel has a different design, the designs are actually outlines to opening compartments. The droid is said to carry a light saber, tools and some personal items- a self-propelled valet of sorts.

The round dots that are all over the outside is where a self-defense protruding spike system comes out, similar to a puffer fish. I think this little guy (most sites call it a 'she') is going to be the comic relief and the conduit for connecting the other characters, like R2 and C3PO were in the earlier films.

Just my 2 cents.

Kurt

[Image: IMG_20141228_091627139_zps3af37cf1.jpg]
Wow! It looks really awesome!

Great research! I think your speculations makes totally sense.
Okay, I'm going to say this only because I want it on the record so I can either be right or totally wrong. Wink I'm not trying to start an argument.  Hopefully at some point we'll find out for sure and it will no longer be conjecture.

After a lot of years of staring at CG images I would bet pretty heavily that the droid in the trailer was entirely CG.  

There was a practical Iron Man suit on set of the first Iron Man film, too, but it wasn't seen in the final film.

Edit: I see that this post of mine is redundant. I didn't remember making the previous post saying pretty much the same thing.

Sorry!
(02-18-2015, 08:13 PM)Kurt Zimmerman Wrote: There are some things Mark Hamill said in his interview, and there are some things he DIDN'T say.
He didn't say it was remote control.
He didn't say it moved under its own power.

He did say- They let me play around with it. [Laughs] I was running it all around at the creature shop up in Pinewood.

I spent weeks chasing down every bit of information on this thing before I started building.

It is my belief that the BB-8 that was in the teaser trailer was indeed a physical prop. I believe it was shot against a green screen, and the model had a long pole that extended out behind it, and came into it from the opposite side of the camera, like a ten-foot pole with a right angle that entered the backside of the prop. The head turning was controlled by cables. It would have been pushed alongside a traveling camera dolly, then the background was added later.

There would be several different models for different scenes. Each round panel has a different design, the designs are actually outlines to opening compartments. The droid is said to carry a light saber, tools and some personal items- a self-propelled valet of sorts.

The round dots that are all over the outside is where a self-defense protruding spike system comes out, similar to a puffer fish. I think this little guy (most sites call it a 'she') is going to be the comic relief and the conduit for connecting the other characters, like R2 and C3PO were in the earlier films.

Just my 2 cents.

Kurt

[Image: IMG_20141228_091627139_zps3af37cf1.jpg]

Ooo, we're all gonna want one, that's cool.