Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fusion Furnace Build
Hello everyone!

I have been wanting to build a fusion furnace for my astromech for a while now and through some googling and cross referencing on astromech.net, I was guided here. 

I dont have access to a laser cutter, but I do have a 3d printer so my plan is to use the 3D files here and print my own fusion furnace. The readme requests that those who use the files make a build log, so I had to oblige. I am just got to print all the files first and then get to the assembly.

Here is the progress

[Image: 1a2zSgw.jpg]

Thanks to both SavageCreature and Kresty for these awesome files.
Started assembly today as I finish printing the last few parts for the build. I really need to get my printer tuned in tighter. These parts are going to need some filing to fit snugly. Aw well. All part of the fun I guess.

Just some simple CA glue and patience.

Pro Tip: Use tape on the backside of the joints and slots to prevent glue seeping through.

I taped the pieces together, turned it over, folded the pieces open along the seam just a bit to open a crack, put glue in the crack between the two and folded them back together to close the seam. Wait and bit and wipe the excess from the surface. Worked well.

[Image: dZjuNev.jpg]

[Image: xnJi9CG.jpg]
Cool & thanks for sharing! I did mine in styrene, so it's cool to see a printed one.
I think it's very exciting to see people build these, for thanks for sharing your build progress with us. I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Imadesignerd, I just saw your message to me on Astromech from early Nov. Just let me know if there's anything I can do to help with the conversion from flat pack to 3D printable. I'll be happy to help out.
(12-05-2022, 12:39 PM)savagecreature Wrote: Imadesignerd, I just saw your message to me on Astromech from early Nov.  Just let me know if there's anything I can do to help with the conversion from flat pack to 3D printable. I'll be happy to help out.

Thanks for the reply. I have noticed some issues that may need addressing in the files regarding fit. I know my printer isn't 100% dialed in, but it's pretty close and some of these parts don't seem to fit right. I will post pictures of the issues here in my next post.
As you can see in this picture, the outer pieces fit good as well as the first circle. However, the second circle doesn't go all the way around and leaves a gap. If it was close, I would chalk it up to printer tuning, but this is pretty far off. Also considering the other pieces fit and these dont, I have a feeling the file is off. I made sure to take a razor blade into those slots to be sure there wasnt any elephant's foot or other irregularities preventing the pieces from slotting all the way in.

I am contemplating cutting that thin vertical piece of the supports, but I don't know if the finned body would fit correctly then. Any suggestions?

[Image: IeUlsyU.jpg]
I assembled and glued the center section and was pleased to see that it slid down over the support pieces. This leads me to believe the issue is just in the circles and can easily be fixed with some JB weld.

I clamped the circle pieces as they set to get the circle as tight as possible.

Can someone provide some clarity on what parts are supposed to be left unglued, if any? It would be nice to take the top off to access the inside, but also, it would be cool to have the entire thing be solid so its easier to carry. Maybe I will cut the bottom open to make some sort of access hatch....

[Image: aoNcr8l.jpg]

[Image: 53F1rGf.jpg]
I believe I left the top removeable. Iʻll have to go check.
Looking great so far!
Bot Builder
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@PaulsBots