Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Treadwell WED-15-77 build : JamesF
Very nice work. Took me a bit to find the PDF in your gallery (I was looking in the Manuals and Treadwell sections, so at first I thought you hadn't gotten around to uploading it yet).
(11-01-2023, 07:27 AM)Dyne Wrote: Very nice work. Took me a bit to find the PDF in your gallery (I was looking in the Manuals and Treadwell sections, so at first I thought you hadn't gotten around to uploading it yet).

Sorry, I tried to add but I couldn’t, restricted access??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R5-D4 UK Builder club member.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
Have had a lot of personal stuff going on last few months. Lost my late Mum’s elder sister 89 and then after a short spell in hospital, my Dad returned home, only to suffer from COPD causing him to go to bed to sleep three days later, only to never regain consciousness 79.

……so not really had much free time outside of work to do anything other than CAD/3D printing.

Apart from the previous post on the ‘Stick Droid’ manual, I have been CAD’ing up and 3D printing the Claw for the second static arm and also for people to be able to print off as a whole arm assembly.

I dug out my Star Wars encyclopaedia just to see if it had any treadwell stuff in and it did!!! finding a clear image of the droid i noticed that the mesh cylinder arm, looked more like semi-circular stacked discs.
[Image: f6ffb513eee532fca3660b65a2a77e05.jpg]

[Image: 17adf1d219f7e04212cc0cb18406ac1e.jpg]

So I redrew the arm and then the discs (as individual printable parts). After I had assembled the 3D image, I realised I had fitted them on the wrong way lol.

[Image: 9d10f03bb3aa9566b097fefc1ae1762c.jpg]
This Claw version is a static one (yellow), it prints as individual pieces and then glued together.

Next up was to attempt an actuated version. Printing tolerances, getting the correct shape etc is not so easy lol. I’ve now lost track of which are the right prints matched up with the ipt drawn files lol. But I’m almost there. For this version though, the main body had to be strengthened at the front as well as the slotted leg holders. This isn’t noticeable, but definitely helps keeps things ridged with the movement of the claws.

Blog update with more pics etc:

https://r5-d4astromechdroid.blogspot.com...1.html?m=1

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
My condolences. I also lost an aunt recently, and my mother is presently in the hospital (though not for anything too severe).

The arm parts look good. That'll be very useful when I get back to my droid. Are you planning on putting the files on printables?

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks mate, appreciate your support, & i hope things are as good as they can be with you and yours under the circumstances.

Yes, all my files will eventually be uploaded to my Prusa account but i will also upload them here first, for the real builders lol, plus any issues can be ironed out.

I’ve done a lot of printing, modifying and reprinting, think i have them all sorted, so will start soon with the uploads.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
New Year, and hopefully, back on with the build……

Well, one thing I did need was a storage/transportation box, for the main head assy.

Didn’t fancy the price or weight and couldn’t find a size suitable, so decided to build my own. It just had to be strong enough for transporting in the car, avoiding knocks , being crushed etc.

I’ll be posting up the full build on my blog, but for now, here’s a teaser picture.

[Image: 3c563662c23b4ef7d8a97bf8bfc8225e.jpg]

More soon…….

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
Blog link to box build

https://r5-d4astromechdroid.blogspot.com...1.html?m=1

[Image: de72356bf56ab19f1966d2b407f401f5.jpg]

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
Very cool looking!
This is for Treadwell's head? I can't wait to see how the head fits inside.
Sneak peek of foam installation and head.

[Image: d3acb65da66df20be4cbd328ceea8769.jpg]
First test fitting, will be getting more foam inside to support more, but you get the gist.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
Love it!
Bot Builder
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@PaulsBots