Treadwell Droid neck servo test
https://youtube.com/shorts/GG8JxQvREE8?feature=share

Slow head nod - Treadwell Droid
https://youtube.com/shorts/W9X-ZGKUt3s?feature=share
R5-D4 UK Builder club member.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
Cool!
Really cool.
Thanks guys, really happy that it all works…..so far lol.

Been working on the pivot activation for the claw arm and have got that sorted, eventually. Push is better than pulling lol. I’ll post a picture and video once it’s all reassembled, these parts are being painted at the mo.

Hoping to get it finished for Celebration this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
Looking good and great movement.
Thanks Paul, much appreciated.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
Friday I set the works 3D printer off with lots of different pieces, including the last two mast parts.

So tomorrows progress will be, gluing the sections together using the PVC tube as a guide for centralising and squareness. Some of the inner diameter’s do still need a bit of filing to make things easier to slide over it. But once done I can glue them all up, I’ll spray primer over the joins and leave to dry.

I’ll be setting up the printer to do the base stand , in ABS. I’ll start it in the day so I can keep an eye on its progress. Any problems and I will hopefully be able to catch in time.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
So last week’s progress:

The mast was primer’d in sections for ease, gluing sections together using the PVC tube as a guide for centralising and squareness. Some of the inner diameter’s do still needed a bit of filling to make things easier to slide over it.

The plan is to primer over any joins still not sprayed. The master PVC tube needs to have cut outs made for the claw arms servo horn fitting as well as the claw servo activation, so will be done once the sections are in the correct positions.

I also set up the printer to do the base stand , in ABS. I started it in the day so I could keep an eye on its progress, what with all the issues people have with printing it.
[Image: 3453de4a31a224f2ea8d051086f97e10.jpg]
I didn’t need to worry as it printed fine.

Ultimaker S5:
clean glass bed,
thin coating of prit-stick glue.
The open top now has a DIY enclosure made by co-worker Will, which also has a filter and extractor fan.

On completion I realised that I needed to design an adapter to help locate the mast’s PVC internal tube, as the base plate hole was too big for my tube.
Adapter printed in ABS, and fitted to the lower mast section, this has an inner sleeve that fits the PVC tube and an outer sleeve to fit over the base plates raised flange.
[Image: 45adbadacdefee3a4f796497029a0387.jpg]

I will be fitting an additional location flange inside to the wheel base to help reduce any possible flexing in the mast/base to body area.

Next I drew up from the blueprints and printed off the base’s four legs (in ABS).
[Image: 28110ab6c0bca1cc26ef67affaca5d1b.jpg]

Base masked off ready for primer. The screws are too secure the legs whilst the glue dried.
[Image: 885bf5a439795e88f4b839a9f1d9f272.jpg]

I messed up on printing the correct missing mast piece so that I had to redo later in the week. I had also glued two sets of pieces together by mistake so I had to cut these apart to be ready for when the last mast piece is printed

Spray painting:
Primer and more silver (chrome) painting of the mast sections as well as the base plate.
[Image: b116743d55c906b2576f3a976ff842b3.jpg]

Woodwork:
I cut out the upper part of the base and after marking the centre point, I then drilled location points to secure the base plate in place.
[Image: ca2ed65c3d04e86de074535a4969fab6.jpg]

I had cut the bottom base board a while back.
This week I bought a 12mm thick hardwood sheet to be able to cut out the two side plates (for the wheel locations) also the two end face pieces, and the upper section (see above picture of mast base plate fitted to wood panel).

Next up was to drill and fix end piece’s in place.
[Image: dffe7ffc1549aaae38421ea85630511a.jpg]
[Image: db85ad56bf604119d38ad321639770db.jpg]

I’ll be adding more supports to the internal sides for strength and rigidity. I then drilled out the hole in the upper plate.

And of course……I had to give it a test fit of the mast.
[Image: 0addb0813b0e62075fa7e2be196bb1f3.jpg]

It’s been good getting back to woodworking, really enjoy it.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
I had fallen way behind on following this build.
This is all really cool! Motion tests are the best. It always seems more real when it moves
I can't wait to see more.
Busy building Treadwell, as well as another project I’m working on (top secret).

Making good progress though and really hoping to have him finished ready for Celebration Europe.

After finding out that there’s a mold function in Cura, I thought I’d have a go at casting the lens. So I ordered some 1-1 ration clear resin to test.

[Image: 509d8eb2d19ea1a24d49878da5340728.jpg]

This was a test pour as not to waste. The 3D printed mold, was not as good idea as first thought lol so on to plan B, using a proper mold material over the top of one of my previous 3D lens.

We had some of this two part molding putty that when mixed together sets to a solid but still pliable material. So before it set, I placed it over the top of the polypropylene lens I had printed a while ago. Left it overnight to fully cure.
Then in work the next day, I mixed up the resin and poured it into the rubber mold.
[Image: 7f19c7427be496d26d70a665836554cf.jpg]

[Image: 1d269cd6cf3582fc3a8927eb74c0018a.jpg]

The result isn’t that bad:
[Image: 5be73673167d0f9c37b7d37e29531dde.jpg]
It does show all the original print layer lines, I might try to remove them.

I reassembled the claw arm components along with the servo pivot horn to activate the lift mechanism. Really happy with this.
[Image: 5e68c875a765c74a7fe7447554f2d9c7.jpg]

The list of little things is a long one.
• The rear lens holders needed to be glued in place.
• The recess in the front of the second eye needed to be cut to allow clearance for the rear lens holder.
•I needed to add captive threaded brass inserts to tabs to help secure the two sections of the eye together. One underneath and one on top that is kinda disguised as one of the detailed ‘rivits’. This will allow future easier access to the servo inside, see next picture:
[Image: b61b554df61e44048b1b5b8c3908a972.jpg]

• The claw arm needed some work to fit inside the body.
• The base plate has now had M6 coach bolts and nuts fitted to better hold it and support the mast structure. I feel better about it’s strength and stability now.

This is from my Blog update part 13.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid