Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Treadwell WED-15-77 build : JamesF
It looks really good. Loving your progress!
Bot Builder
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@PaulsBots
This whole build is great!
I love seeing some of these more obscure droids come to life
Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words.
Sorry I didn’t edit it properly, I just cut n pasted it from my Blog, edit coming up next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R5-D4 UK Builder club member.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
What shade of Blue have you guys used??
Thanks.

** I found a blue colour I liked when out looking last night lol. I'll be spraying the eye units today **

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
The color is made from Citadel Paint. One-third Stegadon Scale Green and two-thirds Sotek Green, when mixed is a very similar shade to the base blue plastic of the Paterson Trident Viewer. I used an airbrush to paint it.
Bot Builder
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@PaulsBots
(01-24-2023, 09:14 AM)Paul6700 Wrote: The color is made from Citadel Paint. One-third Stegadon Scale Green and two-thirds Sotek Green, when mixed is a very similar shade to the base blue plastic of the Paterson Trident Viewer. I used an airbrush to paint it.

Thanks Paul.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
Blog update part 10: link at end of this post.

So a busy few weeks CAD’ing up bits and 3D printing them off.

Had a go at the probe mesh, lol. The first print the holes were too close, this showed up when test squeezing it. Moved the holes a bit further apart and this time it printed much better and stronger. If you wanted to it could be crushed obviously, but even a firm’ish bump, wouldn’t break it.
[Image: 08766b4522d34dec4cb313f1008fa60d.jpg]

The ‘utility arms’ have been printed, assembled (carbon fibre tubes where needed), primer painted and silver painted.
[Image: d476333c41578600e2c870d332a8a3e2.jpg]

It was too cold here (UK) to be painting outside, so the rest of it was done in work, using their spray booth and heating

[Image: e839edc22a67dd52a2878037c987bbeb.jpg]

Did the same with the base and the eye units.
[Image: 1ef7f6f87266d3b8d4970b9d7b74aadc.jpg]

[Image: c1e42c2adab4d13e890b692a9fe35c39.jpg]

Drew up some covers for the openings in the bottom of the eye units.
[Image: 2889e7ed97b4d61e3364e5139483592e.jpg]

Tested out the servos for the neck and the eye unit up/down motion and am really happy with the results.
[Image: 433b62c7c92d6338b90f03ecc3d5b80a.jpg]

Am happy with the centre of gravity, it’s just about right.

[Image: e2fd48c1ba8cf896297923352e1cf2f7.jpg]

The best part though was the neck servo. I wanted to get a servo in to test it, weight of head etc. I had the eyes on etc. and plugged in the servo to my tester. It centred itself almost whipping the mast out of my grasp and took out three paint cans that were on the wooden bench in the background (with the cloth on) . I took a few seconds videos, which I’ll post up. There are thrust washer bearing’s and washer’s between the (silver) base plate and the 3D printed non painted part.

The only slight disappointment was the testing of the claw arm lift. Think I need to relook at how best to activate it. But apart from that little setback, am really happy with the progress. I have cut up some wood for the bottom of the base, and have been looking at the wheels, motors etc.

https://r5-d4astromechdroid.blogspot.com...0.html?m=1

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
Nice build, i'm stunned what people can do with 3d printers.

Did you make all the files by yourself, or did you use found files?
(01-29-2023, 04:12 PM)Lichtbringer Wrote: Did you make all the files by yourself, or did you use found files?

The eyes, the eye base and mast dimensions, are off the blueprints (in the blueprints section), most of these contributed to the files I created. The rest, have been created by myself, scaling them off pictures from build’s already built and vintage photos from ‘77.

I have worked in a design office for over 25 years using CAD/3D Inventor.

Once all is complete, I’ll share the stl files on here.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
Seems you know what you are doing. Looks really good.