Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Treadwell WED-15-77 build : JamesF
Thanks for the kind words and concern all, am all good and now back in work and 3D printing again lol.

Thanks @Dyne, I'm hopeful a friend with a resin printer will give my lens files a go, the only thing I have with the lens print I've done is the internal is visible, so I've a hollowed out a version to print to see if it gives a clearer lens effect. will post up results.

@Kresty : re the claw attachment, I just went with the info supplied. These things only come in the one size [that I could find lol] so will have to see when it eventually arrives. I should then be able to recreate as a 3D model.

---
Ordered a thrust bearing which came with washers, and so I needed to redesign the location to secure it in place. This is looking good.
So now that the neck to head base section is in hand, I can progress on with the rest of the build.
R5-D4 UK Builder club member.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
(12-02-2022, 01:00 AM)Jaffa007 Wrote: Thanks for the kind words and concern all, am all good and now back in work and 3D printing again lol.

I do confess when I read the post that what I was expecting was the glass bed to shatter. Dodgy That had happened to me once trying to get something that was way-too-secure off the bed.  Or maybe I was using bad glass (just something from the hardware store).  Glad you're recovering, try to keep the printer behaving!
(12-01-2022, 05:29 PM)kresty Wrote:
(11-26-2022, 11:44 AM)Jaffa007 Wrote: On a plus note, I managed to grab a bargin. EBay: a found part, is a grabber, one of WED’s utility arms.
[Image: 86bf9f786775e89056c6ab8b86507a03.jpg]

Bargain at £9 inc P&P. Found some others ranging up to £45!!!

That looks cool!  Are the dimensions already known?  It'd be cool to have a 3D model of it.

Found the info picture I had of this item, it was on the Parts of Star Wars Facebook page.[Image: 948f1ade998165176a6abd5e0db96277.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
I searched online and found the part's still on the Clippard site [but obviously discontinued], they do have the tech details so I'll draw these up for 3D printing as well.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
Nice find. i could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure I someone on Astromech mentioned the same (or similar) ice grabber awhile back as the source for the relevant R2-D2 gripper arm. That didn't have the Clippard part info obviously.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk
Yeah, probably the same R2 item Cool

Been drawing up the piston 'arm' components and printed them off over night. Will post up pics.
I'm also updating my Blog with links to the components and their tech info/dimensions.

more coming soon.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
Blog update link:
Has the links to the Clippard website components.

https://r5-d4astromechdroid.blogspot.com...7.html?m=1

[Image: 3e4043ab423db69aafe0a25657939ac6.jpg]

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
Blog update 8

https://r5-d4astromechdroid.blogspot.com...8.html?m=1

This one includes an update on printing the pistons for the claw arm. Basically I had assumed someone had actually done their homework….

But that would just be TOO easy!!

Like I had said, the Clippard sites historic info seemed to duplicate some of the dimensions info for physically different size items. These were taken from the ‘parts of Star Wars’ picture. But on printing, I wasn’t happy with the scaling.

So using the claw I actually had, I used it to scale, off the picture from the original arm (B&W right side), to the size the components should be. I had previously scaled off the colour image with the website dimensions. Granted, there wasn’t much difference, but still, i was happier knowing it was more accurate.
[Image: d8b1c9b3c3b0ec967cdbb1a189bf5d73.jpg]
When I get two minutes, I’ll find the ACTUAL part numbers for future reference.
But I’ll be creating stl files for 3D printing anyway, but having the correct numbers for backup.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
Blog update 8b

https://r5-d4astromechdroid.blogspot.com...b.html?m=1

So this update got missed, unfortunately the this slide viewer’s internal lens, isn’t the correct size.
[Image: 669a51d7ba9f8aa3fe983f3dc1f4400b.jpg]

I had been searching for alternatives, cost of buying a Trident viewer, and although this and a few others have the same internal design, the lens and its holder aren’t an exact match. Plus I was surprised at the actual weight of the lens!

So I’ll be resin printing or moulding my own lol.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
Shocked 
Build updates:

New servos
Claw Arm & Carbon fibre rods
3D printed hose clips
Mast update Ordered some filler primer paint

New head/eye servo:
One for the eyes. I’ve also redrawn up the piston part of it. The linkage between the two eyes has also been modified.

Claw arm:
Back in work Jan 4th, and drew up first arm bracket that attaches to the mast. Printed it off to see how it will work. Am impressed lol, it looks good and is functional to, the arms pivot well & the test ‘tube’ slides well in the lower ‘piston’.
Here’s some pictures of the CAD work, inc half section views.
[Image: 79245059-47ED-4D52-B144-078AF333810F.jpeg]

The end unit which the Claw fits into has been redesigned/updated. It now looks more like Paul6700's. I've also been working on a way to get the Claw to operate as well. Had to 3D print off a small adaptor, which then attaches to a spring, more on this in a later post, when I actually get it all working lol.
[Image: D98ACF3C-15C8-4831-BB10-DB29D4E3ADE7.jpeg]

Half section view:
[Image: D98ACF3C-15C8-4831-BB10-DB29D4E3ADE7.jpeg]

Here’s a test assembly:
[Image: 140C554A-D09F-4DC7-924D-8F38745A9EE0.jpeg]
The steel tube (in above picture) will be replaced with the carbon fibre tube (before it arrived). This will help with the weight for the servo to lift the assembly.

Took me a few attempts to figure out how best to actuate the movement, but I think I have a working idea.

Hose Clips:
I drew up & 3D printed off some hose clips. These just clip over (to be eventually glued) in place to hold the 'hydraulic' hose.

Mast:
The last lower sections of the Mast have not been printed yet. Before they get glued together, there are details that need to be included & holes to be cut.
Drew up and printed off a SG90 mini, servo bracket. This will be housed inside the mast, hopefully to actuate the claw.

Filler primer paint:
Visited my local car store (Halfords UK), and the price for one can was £10!
So I went on eBay and bought two (better) can's for the same price!

My R5D4 Astromech Droid