Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EGL Power Droid
Hello there.

I have plans to build several droids to display in a robot museum I hope to open in the near future, but was going to start with the EG Power droid until I suddenly came across a rainwater tank that somehow looked very familiar. A quick search later and I saw it was indeed the same type used for the new EGL power droid. I just had to buy one, and felt quite excited that I could finally catch a break and start building a life-size droid from my favorite movie series just from buying this rainwater tank.

I've seen a lot of complaining about how this droid was made, but seeing as the original "Gonk" was made from a couple of storage bins with greeblies and legs, making a droid from a rainwater tank with greeblies and legs seems to fit right in with how they always made things for Star Wars, and many agree on that too. I thought I should share my project here and all the parts I have identified for it so others can make this droid too, and maybe someone can identify the rest of the parts I haven't found yet. Otherwise we live in the age of 3D-printing where I could fill in the rest anyway.

Reference images for this droid are scarce to say the least, and it is only seen for seconds in The Force Awakens and The Book Of Boba Fett. However there is a very good 3D-model of it in Star Wars Battlefront II that was most likely made through photogrammetry (3D-scanning), seeing as the weathering on the 3D-model even matches the real droid.
[Image: EGL-21.webp]

Body - - - 100l rainwater tank, also known as a water butt... Several brands seem to use the same shared mold. I got mine from Greenline. The one from Maze has their logo molded into the plastic, so was likely not the one used. Available in black, gray, and green. The whole droid seems to have been painted dark gray, so tank color doesn't really matter.
[Image: smbd3ptkitblk-1.jpg]

Face - - - Some sort of tray or storage bin with flat corners that are usually seen on food packaging and other industrial boxes. I haven't identified it yet, but from the Battlefront II textures it seems roughly 5" X 6" (125mm X 155mm) in size. The circular grill part is a sink drain strainer at 80mm wide. Two other details in the tray are likely some sort of male pipe stoppers or hole plugs at 3/4" and 1 1/4" wide.

[Image: 12809524-2844831969668354.jpg]

Righthand corner - - - Seems to be an Airfit screw-fit branch coupling. These are made in several sizes, but after making a template in both 110mm and 125mm, the largest seems to fit the best. The front coupling seems to be for a 40mm pipe rather than the 50mm.
[Image: screw-fit-branch-connector-dn-50-for-ht-...001196.jpg]

Lefthand corner - - - The Battlefront II model seems to have a drain trap with convex inner walls and other details that I could only find on a Dallmer type 42 drain trap insert, but other reference images makes this part look sort of different, so I am still not sure about this one. The smaller part inside it is a John Guest speed-fit tank connector. These also come in several sizes, but seems to be the 15mm one.
[Image: 5719279-1.jpg][Image: CM0715S.jpg]
Back - - - Some sort of screw-fit connector I haven't identified yet, but I imagine it is something like in this picture. Again there are two sink drain strainers at 70mm and 60mm, and the top part seems to be a splittable pipe collar for 22mm pipes. (Another image shows this part losing its paint to reveal it was indeed white).
[Image: 65380.jpg][Image: s-l400.jpg]
Legs - - - Black flexible spiral-type air duct hose at 4" (100mm). The feet are made of four Stanley Storage boxes (type #3), which coincidentally are sold in 4-packs. The part that connect them on the sides is actually the back of the storage boxes that was cut off. (These were also used for the new KT power droid).
[Image: HTB1-XOm-VDv5-TBu-Nj-Sspcq6zn-GFXaz.jpg][Image: 076174932768.jpg]

That's all I have found so far, and hopefully we can find the rest. There seems to be an overall theme of plumbing and pipe parts on this whole droid, so maybe the few unidentified parts are related to that as well. Now I just need to figure out the appropriate sizes and buy the parts to put it all together into my first life-size Star Wars droid.
That's pretty cool! Thank you sharing your build!
Where was droid seen? I mean, what part of Force Awakens or Boba Fett? I don't think I know this one.
Cool, great find!
Thanks! I'll keep updating the parts list with what I find.

The droid can be seen in TFA in Niima outpost when Rey beats Finn with her staff, then again when they run away from TIE fighters.
It's also in the second episode of TBOBF, seen walking around in the streets.
[Image: normal_EGL-1.png]

He wasn't easy to spot!  Shows up here and there throughout the entire sequence.

[Image: normal_EGL-2.png]

Okay. Maybe not *quite* so hard to spot. Dodgy
How in the actual farrik did I miss that one? Huh Maybe I was just too excited to see the episode to actually notice the droid right there in the middle of the shot... I just rewatched the street scenes, and now I can find him everywhere... Dodgy
When you started sharing your build I had thought that Boba Fett was it's first appearance.  Now that I know it exists, though, I noticed it in Fallen Order. Since the game is canon, I guess the droid's been around a while.  Fallen Order was released in 2019, so it's still fairly recent, but it makes me wonder if the Fallen Order droid was inspired by something before it.

Turns out it was. It was first seen in The Force Awakens on Jaku.  I wasn't able to find it in the film proper, but it's in the Star Wars Visual Dictionary for The Force Awakens. I'll try to get some scans of the image.

and of course, once again, you mentioned it being in The Force Awakens in your first post.  I really need to pay closer attention.
This looks like it's probably the same image you included in your first post, but I'll post it again anyway. It's on page 36 of the Visual Dictionary

[Image: normal_gonk_01.jpg]
When did GNK droids become EG droids?
It was indeed made for The Force Awakens, guessing around 2014.

I didn't know it was in Fallen Order, so I might pick up that game soon to check it out. Thanks for letting me know.

As for the GNK and EG droids, it seems the whole Internet and all its wikis are confused about that one.
Sometimes there's pictures of GNK as EG, and EG as GNK..

I think the GNK is this very old one seen in The Phantom Menace.
[Image: GNKpowerdroid-DB.webp]

Then there is the original version seen in A New Hope who is called EG-6, which is clearly then an EG power droid.
[Image: EG-series-power-droid.webp]

What I think happened is that the original droid in A New Hope was always named EG-6 and being an EG power droid, but since everyone simply calls it a "Gonk droid" from its first words, the version they built for The Phantom Menace was named GNK as a homage to the original droid's nickname. Only now everyone are confused with the designations, and the version they think of as the GNK is really the EG. I imagine the EGL from the same factory is the "long" version, hah..
I just checked through some playthrough videos of Fallen Order, but didn't see the EGL droid anywhere. My nephew said he never saw it in the game either. Are you sure it's that one you saw? Could you grab a screenshot of it?

At least there's lots of these guys in Star Wars Battlefront II on the Jakku map. I've counted 8 so far here and there in the sand.
[Image: battlefront2-egl21.jpg]