Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pit Droid Scratchbuild
Starting from the top down, I've built and fibreglassed the Pepakura dome. I purchased an obj file which I'm using to get measurements and also the data for the dome. It's low resolution, but easy enough to smooth with some builder's bog.

The eye is a 100mm (4") cheapo magnifying glass, set into some 30mm MDF.

Next step is to turn some more MDF to extend the eye back into the dome, then cut and screw it together.

The lens foreshortening makes the eye look too large in relation to the dome, but it's just posed for the photo.
Next is to epoxy the dome to a plywood base that'll hold the neck attachment and various greeblies.
I have cut out the base, which will sit inside the dome, recessed about half an inch above the bottom of the dome rim. Before it is epoxied into place, I have to make a rotating base which can be tightened so the head can be posed at different angles.
Cheers, Phil.
Oh, nice! I nearly forgot about this resource (Rebel Droids) and it's nice to see a build here. I've got a second-hand 3d printed pit droid I need to assemble but I'm at a loss for hardware for joints and whatnot and so I look forward to seeing how you assemble yours!
Back in the shed today, and started whittling away at the helmet with the aim of sliding the eye piece into the helmet without leaving large gaps. Much patient dremeling and test fitting required.

After quite a few tests, everything fitted. The trick was to hold the dremel at a slight undercut angle so the eye could slide in with a close tolerance.

I coated the MDF with sanding sealer. This stuff is amazing! One coat seals the surface and stops it acting as a sponge and soaking up paint. One very rough coat of bog then into the curing cabinet. It should be ready for another coat of bog under the rim tomorrow, then onto the sanding phase.
(Bog - automotive/builder's body filler. Bondo in the States? Definitely 'bog' here in New Zealand!)
Spent some time working on the neck today. Made a cradle that allows the head to swivel, move up and down, and tilt about 10 degrees side to side. This should hopefully allow posing the head to create some personality.
The bolts are temporary, until I can source something more 'droidy'.

Cool, love the approach!
Thanks, Kresty.

Decided to scrap the wooden neck. It was too bulky and long. I'll make a new one from either steel or aluminium, keeping the profile narrow to emphasise the comically large head.

Today I got the body roughed out and glued together with 8mm dowels for extra strength. Next step is to shape and sand it to a more rounded look.

Wasn't happy with the wooden neck - too bulky - so I roughed up a thin metal one which can be widened with some wood along the centre stalk.

Spent a few minutes rough sanding the body, then fitted the head for a test. There'll be lots of greeblies to camouflage the bolts and steel fittings.

I like the eye lens in that last pix.
Thanks, Kresty. It's not as curved as I'd like, but the black foam behind it helps the effect.

Must get onto detailing the body and neck. At present we're in the middle of a really dry spell with a total fire ban, so I can't melt any aluminium for turning the shoulder joints. Still, no hurry. Smile