Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beach Ball Droid ideas
Hey savage, we need a subforum for the beach ball droid...

An idea:
[Image: BeachBall_Droid.png]

Have like a hamster (or bigger ferret) ball like thing with a "heavy" car riding on the bottom on the inside.

Then to get the head on, a rod up to the top with some magnets. Put something slippery on the bottom of the dome so it can glide as the ball rolls, and use 2 or 3 magnets so that the dome's orientation can remain correct.

If you need to communicate, use a BT module.
My idea is to build it like a Yo-Yo. Two halves that can rotate in different speeds.
A technology similar to a Segway Scooter should fit perfectly.
Then it would be possible to drive bends and the Dome would stay at the right position.
(12-05-2014, 11:38 AM)Toby Wrote: My idea is to build it like a Yo-Yo. Two halves that can rotate in different speeds.
A technology similar to a Segway Scooter should fit perfectly.
Then it would be possible to drive bends and the Dome would stay at the right position.

My thinking is that magnets on the post could keep the head aligned with the body, yet the ball could rotate in any direction. If the head wanted to turn, it'd just turn.

I didn't see a slit between two halves.
Oh, I didn't get that your Droid could drive in any direction Wink
But about the slit between two halves: We didn't saw a front view yet. Smile
The problem with magnets is the magnet inside the body is constantly turning. So how does the dome stay at top without it turning along with the magnet on the body? Maybe there is a third flat or curved part under the dome that connect the dome and the body with magnets. But how does that part stay up? I like the magnet idea, but I just can't put my head around it yet. Unless the whole body is magnetic, but then the dome would still be all over the place. (sorry, I'm rambling here as thoughts pour out) Magnets, magnets, magnets..... it's gotta work.... somehow. (I'm going back to real work now, I'm beginning to sound like Sheldon)
"To do is to be" - Socrates
"To be is to do" - Plato
"Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

http://r2-al.blogspot.com
(12-07-2014, 01:43 PM)lynellephi Wrote: The problem with magnets is the magnet inside the body is constantly turning.
I'm thinking 3 magnets. (well, 6). A triangle in the body and a triangle in the head. Then it would keep it's orientation... though maybe one might put something in to make the head turn.

The vision is clear in my head, but I'm not quite sure how to draw a trivial picture.
Our new little friend have a name now:
It's BB-8!

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/12/11/st...r-names/2/

(BB = BeachBall?) Wink
BB == Beach Ball? (I guess the first 7 popped?)
A friend suggested that it may be two half spheres spinning so fast that it looks like a ball with a rod through the middle for the dome attachment. All I know is Mark Hamill had fun playing with the actual droid (boy, I wish I knew who built it so we can ask questions). Anyway, it's not CG, it's real. We've got work to do, don't we?
"To do is to be" - Socrates
"To be is to do" - Plato
"Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

http://r2-al.blogspot.com
(12-16-2014, 06:21 PM)lynellephi Wrote: A friend suggested that it may be two half spheres spinning so fast that it looks like a ball with a rod through the middle for the dome attachment.
That's exactly what I tried to say in the second post, with my bad English Wink