Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kresty's Other D-O - Lego of course
I've actually done a little bit on this already, but just research.  I finally have a picture, even if it's just virtual:

Thinking about D-O's head, trying to see how a cone might work.  The tiles seem to be about right.  Wedges didn't really come close enough.  Longer tiles leave too much space.

If it wasn't obvious, the other D-O is mostly just to get a clue for how the Lego build would work... so this build was actually started a while ago. Not to mention, I ordered bricks a while back to play with ideas for the cone head.

Unfortunately, the "wedge" pieces don't seem to have angles that come nearly close enough. I could maybe do it with the 3x12 wings - but they're too long. I'd need a 2x6 version - and I'd need them in dark green, which is pretty limiting.

The tile idea seems to be working pretty well though. We'll see how it goes in practice.
Lara was surprised with Heavy Metal in the mail.  (W - Tungsten).

Well, it occurred to me that with Lego my counterbalance problems are going to be really, really tough.  Like maybe worse than lead tough.  So I found some Tungsten to play with.

Some of you are probably more experienced, but I haven't had much cause to play with anything this dense before.  Messes with your head a little to pick it up.

[Image: normal_Heavy_Metal_W_28529.jpg]
Heavy Metal (W)
Playing with possible weights for counterbalances

I got a 1" cube, 1.5" cube and some small counterweights.  The cubes are about a kilo and a little over 5 lbs respectively.  All together it's almost 10lbs of stuff.

[Image: normal_Heavy_Metal_W_28429.jpg]
Heavy Metal (W)
Playing with possible weights for counterbalances

I wasn't sure what sizes we'd need, and we'll need something for BB-8 as well if we ever get that behaving...
I love science Smile
Well, I'm working on ordering bricks - thought "dark green" would be good, but lately have decided "green" is probably the right choice. Stuck some green on the nose I'd printed (next to the one I painted).

[Image: normal_D-O_Lego_Nose_Start.jpg]
D-O Lego Nose Test Start
Seeing if the nose is going to look right in practice, and if the green is close enough.

You can see the studs of the part I'm attaching the tiles to.
Finally got the Lego on his head. The back/front aren't done yet. I haven't affixed the green nose to the white main part yet (as I was rotating it by hand Lara asked if we wanted to make it spin... really???)

[Image: normal_Lego_D-O_Head_28start29.jpg]
Dio Starts to have a head
Finally have the cone part working

[Image: normal_Lara_with_D-O_Nose.jpg]
Dio Starts to have a head
Lara wanted a new nose.

Feel like I'm starting to get somewhere.
Way cool! I'm impressed how . . . not lego it looks while still looking lego.
(11-24-2019, 12:58 PM)savagecreature Wrote: Way cool! I'm impressed how . . . not lego it looks while still looking lego.

I'm not sure what I expected, but it felt like armadillo armor when I first got it together.  It's growing on me.
Designed & printed the outer wheel disc/rings over the long weekend. I had to figure out how the Lego was going to work and that took a while longer than I'd've liked.  The skin will fit on the Mr. Baddeley drive wheels...

I confess I was really happy with how well they printed on the CR-10.  I think that being thinner and totally circular helped prevent warping.  Given their size I was hoping for them to be "good enough" with correctable warping, but they look great.

White ring will have Lego on the top and edge.  Black toothed looking rings will clamp around a green lego bit for the green ring effect and it will drive on the Lego.

[Image: normal_Outer_Rings_28129.jpg]
Lego D-O's outer rings
To get the studs printed so the lego can attach I printed the outer ring/disc in 3 layers, plus the main drive wheel
I added a LOT of counterweight to the middle.  Cut out a section for the 1.5" Tunsten block to sit.  Almost 2kg!!!!  Needs a lot for all the Lego in the head.  I actually have a few more hundred grams on the way...  There's a void under the main motors my blocks of W were too big for.

Mr. Baddeley's plans had the servo mount going into the counterweight/lead pellet area.  So I had to chop off one of the tabs of the 2 nod servos to get it to fit (they sit tab up in the frame.)

Love how well the Tunsten works so far... not as thrilled about the price, the counterweight's the most expensive bit of this build so far. But I have nearly twice the mass of other builds, so that's good.
Slowly starting to take shape.

[Image: normal_Dio_s_Starting_to_Take_Shape21.jpg]
Dio's Starting to Take Shape
Just laying the head on the neck on the rims. Obviously no wheel, but he's starting to get there. (and he doesn't fall over with his head on top!)

Biggest bit is probably the tire, though I have to figure out how to get the neck attached to the rod. Hmmm, could've added antenna for the pix at least!