Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kresty's Static D-O
Well, seeing how fast I can make a little bit of Dio.  Decided to do a flat cone for the head, styrene from our laser cutter.

(I'd appreciate feedback on the three "eye" strips, though they're probably "final" for this build)

This is the final idea I intend to cut.

[Image: normal_D-O_Paper_Cone.jpg]

And this is what it looks like before I rolled it up:

[Image: normal_D-O_Paper_Cone_Flat.jpg]

I used David Os's Thingiverse model for scale, but I didn't like how the "eye" strips ended up when I printed the paper draft:

First they seemed too "long" to me, getting too close to the green nose.
[Image: normal_D-O_Paper_Cone_Too_Long_Eyes.jpg]

So I remeasured from some stills from the stage video and made it about 9mm shorter on the nose end.  But then after printing they seemed too skinny.
[Image: normal_D-O_Paper_Cone_Too_Skinny_Eyes.jpg]

So, again, I remeasured the width from the photos and bumped them up to 13mm wide.  The final result seems decent to me, so this is what I plan to cut from styrene pretty soon.

[Image: normal_D-O_Paper_Cone.jpg]

I'm going to need to fit some rings to the inside to help it keep it's shape, I'll go ahead and 3D print those.  I guess I traded a day of 3d printing the cone for a day of redesigning it Wink

I uploaded PDF's for the cuts I intend to use to D-O Template Files.

One is the one I printed (scaled to fit on letter size paper).  The other is what I'd use on the laser.  The laser file has RGB 000 black lines for the cut lines with skinny widths, should work for Epilog and Universal lasers.  I also added a RGB0000FF blue line to mark where the edge of the green is... Hmm, be careful if you're only using widths to cut with.
I don't know about accuracy, but I like the last one with the widest strips the best
(04-20-2019, 06:31 PM)savagecreature Wrote: I don't know about accuracy, but I like the last one with the widest strips the best

Thanks Smile  Yea, I was trying to compare my cone to the photos before I waste a bunch of styrene and it just wasn't right.  Once I got the fatter lines I was like "that looks like a head".

It's unclear to me how great the scale of the models I'm working from is as well, there's still a lot of churn in the 3D model.
To me, it feels like the cone needs to taper a little more. On the straight-on stage shots, the tip of the nose seems narrower in proportion to the back, like maybe the tip of the paper version should be something like 7/8th of its current diameter. ( I'm going by the wide eye version of the paper model.)

As for the eyes, I'd agree that the widest version is best. They feel very slightly too wide, but it's subtle enough that I waffled over it.

Take all of this with a grain of salt. I may just have crummy sense of relative sizes.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
(04-21-2019, 01:58 AM)Dyne Wrote: To me, it feels like the cone needs to taper a little more.  On the straight-on stage  shots, the tip of the nose seems narrower in proportion to the back, like maybe the tip of the paper version should be something like 7/8th of its current diameter.  ( I'm going by the wide eye version of the paper model.)

As for the eyes, I'd agree that the widest version is best.  They feel very slightly too wide, but it's subtle enough that I waffled over it.

Take all of this with a grain of salt.  I may just have crummy sense of relative sizes.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback.  The cone's the same size/shape as the current "best" Thingiverse model - however my test was paper, so it didn't sit perfectly for the photo.  I *think* it'll be OK.  (It's also hard with "just the head).  I guess I'll see as I get further along.
The back of the head almost doesn't fit on the flashforge's bed...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=308]

I'm getting ahead of myself.  I haven't finished printing the back file, but I posted the cone head and updated files on Thingiverse.
Printed/cut some parts for the head.  Now I have to figure out how it goes together Smile  (Using my variation at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3582500 for the head)

Lots of detail on the back panel, thanks David!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=309]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=310]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=311]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=312]

Looks great so far...
(I'd upload more pix if the phone would ever send them)