Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3PO build
I must say this is extremely awesome.
Gah!! I friggin' love this build! I definitely have to start my own this summer. I'll pick up some new print nozzles and give 'em a try. I like the idea of "a lot stronger".
(06-21-2019, 07:37 AM)savagecreature Wrote: Gah!! I friggin' love this build!  I definitely have to start my own this summer. I'll pick up some new print nozzles and give 'em a try.  I like the idea of "a lot stronger".

Of course you are, the more projects you start, the more likely it is one of them'll be finished!  (Not that I can talk at the moment).
Just a quick update- The past couple months I've been in the process of moving across the continent, and into another country (Any builders in London Ontario?), so I haven't had much droid time Sad
The upside is that I'm now living in a bigger place, with much more work space, which means I have room for an air compressor, which means that spray on chrome is within reach!

"Trouble with your droid?"
[Image: pw5LLU30_o.jpg]

Oh, hey, I just had a terrible idea, I could paint one of the heads orange, and make a droid-o-lantern for Halloween!  I bet those battery operated tea lights are around the same size as the eye sockets...
Ha ha
so, as we briefly discussed print strength . . . you should check this out. Very interesting stuff:

https://youtu.be/iR6OBlSzp7I
(11-10-2019, 10:31 PM)savagecreature Wrote: so, as we briefly discussed print strength . . .  you should check this out. Very interesting stuff:

https://youtu.be/iR6OBlSzp7I

We used brass inserts on the Lego Sentry Droid... they're pretty cool (also great that we found some that fit exactly inside the Lego brick tubes).  

Interesting tests.
I've used those brass inserts on many builds of various sorts. I swear by them.
(11-11-2019, 11:10 AM)savagecreature Wrote: I've used those brass inserts on many builds of various sorts. I swear by them.

Hmm, if you're swearing that much you must be building like Lara ;-)  She swears a lot too when she's building droids.
Hmm...those look like they would be good for the upper torso connection. 
I used something similar in the knees. I pressed T-nuts into the outside of the thigh piece, and used set screws to connect the thigh and shin. Short, unthreaded, aluminum tubes are in the shin, to receive the set screws. The T-nuts are between the thigh and shin, so even if they come loose, they won't fall out. Fingers crossed that the set screws won't back out while i'm wearing it.
It has definitely been a challenge to connect the parts. Most material is only 1/8" thick. The fasteners on the inside of the costume should be flush, so I don't get stabbed, and I can't have visible fasteners on the outside, cause that wouldn't be accurate. Ideally, the fasteners could also be removed by hand (I have nightmares about loosing a hex wrench while i'm in costume).

[Image: 3rYBy701_o.jpg]

[Image: GCYzuLI8_o.jpg]

I've been experimenting with using rare earth magnets to hold the head together.  It seems to be a strong connection, and the head can quickly removed.  I still need to test it while I'm wearing the neck piece.
[Image: ZlMVZWTV_o.jpg]