Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ross' H015 Build
This is the connection to the LED Arduino Nano. Below the Nano, you can see one of the body mount bolts.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Way cool, the level of detail in your build log. I like it when people explain step by step.
UPDATE:

The original motor did not have enough torque and would stall on thin pile carpet.  I experimented with a few motors and found the following to work significantly better.  It has about 7.5 times the torque of the motor I originally used.  Now, my droid can drive on thin carpet and even go over small bumps without hesitation.

Motor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OKJ...UTF8&psc=1

or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FX261TI/ref...VY6RK1LNO2

These motors interface with the existing mounting brackets, so no changes there.

I had to make some minor setting changes to the Pololu Simple Motor Controllers through the Pololu Simple Motor Controller software. First, I had to invert the motor direction in the "Motor Controller" tab and, for some reason, I had to check the "Disable safe start" in the "Advance Settings" tab to keep the controller from constantly going into safe mode.

Also, since the new motor has an offset shaft instead of the center shaft of the original motor, the droid now sits about a quarter on an inch higher. This is fine with me since now it has better clearance at the corner spheres when encountering hard floor to carpet transitions.
Did this droid make it back to R2LA this year? When I was leaving, I saw someone driving one outside and the movement and control was just mesmerizing.
Yep, that was me. It's easy and fun to drive. All you have to do is point the right stick and goes in that direction. The left stick's left and right controls does the rotations. I plan on adding some kind of sound to give it more "life." Hopefully it gets more screen time in "The Rise Of Skywalker" so that we can hear what it sounds like instead of just running around in the background delivering lunches to the first order. (My wife calls it the "To-Go Box" droid)
These are fun to drive for sure!