Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IT-0 parts
In my never ending quest for all things droid I went in search for more information about this awesome, menacing robot. I had seen it in person at the Star Wars exhibit and I even took some photos, but they didn't come out very well and I wanted some clarification.

I ran across Droidboy, who's building an excellent replica and asked if he would be willing to allow me access to a few reference photos in return for the digital files I produced from them. He was kind enough to say yes!

I thought I'd share my progress.

I'm starting with the prehensor, at Droidboy's request. It's a prosthetic hand of some sort. When they built the interrogator droid they must have gone to a medical supply and gone through the dumpster out back and picked up everything they thought looked frightening.

It's on the back of the droid where no one can get a good look at it.

[Image: normal_IT_diagram_01.jpg]

There are many different approaches that can be used to create a digital facsimile of a real world object. It depends on the data you have, mostly. In this case I have a couple of photographs. No measurements, just a vague impression of size, and the images aren't planar to the major faces of the object.

[Image: intrgtrdrd_oddhandle01.jpg]

Not to worry. The viewing camera can be aligned to approximate the position of the camera that took the photo. Normally information such as the length of the lens is used to facilitate accuracy, but in this case the image is cropped and lens is unknown. No matter. It still works, to a certain degree.

[Image: normal_matchmove_01.JPG]

Once the model has been constructed to match the view of the camera, smoothing is applied to better approximate the shape.

[Image: normal_smooth_01.jpg]

Now we can move to a view other than that of the photograph and at least get an idea of what the object looks like in 3D space.

[Image: normal_smooth_02.jpg]

Of course, this is just the first pass. A great deal more refinement will take place, based on this photo and others that might shed some light on proportions or details. But it's a good start, I think.

More to come.
(11-15-2014, 10:15 PM)savagecreature Wrote: just a vague impression of size, and the images aren't planar to the major faces of the object.
Just FYI, regarding size, the diameter of the sphere is probably 18 1/4" since the thing is like two R2 heads stuck together. (Probably because they could've used prototypes that didn't fit or something)
(11-17-2014, 04:33 PM)kresty Wrote:
(11-15-2014, 10:15 PM)savagecreature Wrote: just a vague impression of size, and the images aren't planar to the major faces of the object.
Just FYI, regarding size, the diameter of the sphere is probably 18 1/4" since the thing is like two R2 heads stuck together. (Probably because they could've used prototypes that didn't fit or something)

Only the top half is an R2 dome. You can even still see the panel lines when you see it in person, they're just painted over. The bottom half is a true hemisphere.

But you're absolutely correct about the size.
(11-17-2014, 04:37 PM)savagecreature Wrote: Only the top half is an R2 dome. You can even still see the panel lines when you see it in person, they're just painted over. The bottom half is a true hemisphere.

But you're absolutely correct about the size.
Ah, thought someone had shared a photo where the bottom looked like a dome too.

BTW: WHY do you want one of these things in your house?

Nevermind, on second though I don't want to know!!
Another of your unfinished droids...... But I was wondering: How are you going to make it hover?
(05-24-2015, 02:10 PM)kresty Wrote: Another of your unfinished droids......  But I was wondering:  How are you going to make it hover?

I know, he can use the Force!
"Schubert Droid Works" on FB, @SchubertDroids on Twitter
I'm surprised at this thing's diameter. In the movie I'd've guessed basketball sized or something.

Should reproductions have the outlines of the astromech panels? Did the prehensor get printed?
(06-02-2016, 09:18 AM)kresty Wrote: I'm surprised at this thing's diameter.  In the movie I'd've guessed basketball sized or something.

Should reproductions have the outlines of the astromech panels?  Did the prehensor get printed?

[Image: it-is-perfectly-moral-to-torture-a-robot...-do-it.jpg]

Here's a pretty clear photo of the original. It would appear that some sort of technique was used to outline the panels. Could be something as simple as grey paint. What's your opinion?
Great pix! Savage'll have to stick that in the reference gallery. I can't tell if they intentionally did something from this pix or if it just shows up from the lights because of indent and age/dust & stuff. It does kinda look like the black doesn't get all the way in the cracks though. Or they painted over it.
R2 dome - Acquired
Everett syringe - Proxy acquired but still looking for authentic offset needle
Test Tube clamp - on order
Neonatal Baby Extractor - Acquired (Don't ask)

Still working on some of the other items to get like whatever the hell that thing is on top that looks like a too small hat. I'll post pics as progress occurs.