Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sifter droid treads?
I've been looking at this for another project. 

Need some dimensions of that vacuum but maybe this:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12719

Can't seem to post a pic of this.
(06-22-2018, 06:00 AM)xingshen71 Wrote: I've been looking at this for another project. 

Need some dimensions of that vacuum but maybe this:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12719

Can't seem to post a pic of this.

Hmm, it's a 20L Vac, which is similar to 5 gallons. So it should be about the size of a 5 gallon (or 20L) bucket.

I was thinking out loud.  Not very exact, but looks like about 40mm casters.  20L == 20000cm³. To me the width looks about the same as the height. Volume of a cylinder is V = πr²h. If h = 2r, then we can solve for it and get r=15cm, or 30 cm height/diameter.

The hose is clearly smaller than the opening. Not sure about UK hose sizes, but in the US the "big" hose size is commonly 2.5". This looks about the same, and the connector/hose look about right for a smaller hose to bigger hose connector.

Note that the wheels stick out past the round cylinder of the vacuum (Sorry, it's British: the hoover). However they don't stick out past the 30cm square footprint because they fit in the "corners" between the square and the circle that it fits in. (This is visible in the youtube review).

So... I guess we're looking to get/make tracks that have a footprint a little bigger than the 30cm square. (They look like they stick out past the "hoover" feet).
So, probably bigger than the T'Rex Chasis?
(06-22-2018, 02:58 PM)xingshen71 Wrote: So, probably bigger than the T'Rex Chasis?

Wider for sure, that says 355 x 175 x 130mm - the 355 seems to me to be about right, but it'd need to be much wider (probably could be chopped apart easily enough).  The tread also looks wrong.  (When I zoom in each link looks like it has 2 parallel lines, though I confess it's hard to tell.  The T'Rex has single lines with pointy segments).

I believe the tracks to be about 1.5" (40mm) wide from my measurements.

Aliexpress has quite a few tank track robot sizes.  I was looking over there for other reasons, but they may have some frames that'd be similar - though I doubt we'd be able to find the exact part there.

We know that they got parts from some shops in England, and the hemisphere for the white mouse faux wheels came from an online retailer, and it's omniwheels came from VEX.
I gave him a page in the wiki: SN-1F4 Sifter Droid