Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shawn & Lara need a Toolbox... Droid?
Working on modeling the drivetrain and frame stuff this weekend. Trying to get it to behave a bit, happy with my progress.

The wheels seem a bit overly complicated. Originally they were two-part wheels with a small "hub" because I wasn't sure what my axle would look like with my hub. Once the wheel proved to be too small, I ended up separating the outer rim as well (so that it could be reprinted without having to redo the middle bit).

Now I've figured it out, so the hub now has a 26mm bearing for a 10mm shaft and attaches to a sprocket on the other side. (on one end - the other end is freewheeling).

I made my own 4 lobed key thing for the sprocket and inner hub. There are screw holes to allow them to be screwed together. That'll keep the rest of the wheel fixed as well, clamped between the hub & sprocket. Sprocket is only on one end, the other end just has a plate.

I've also been pondering idler wheels. A real tank/caterpillar/whatever tracks are kind of like two sides of a square - tracks way out on the edges. Lee built this thing with really fat and long tracks, which make it unstearable. My thinking is that if these idler wheels are "lower" than the main wheels, then maybe I can get most of the weight to rest on the bit of track between these wheels on either side - which is more like a real tracked vehicle's square ratio. And maybe then it'll turn. Maybe.

[Image: normal_Idler_Wheels_Maybe.png]
Pondering idler wheels
Thinking if I can get some of the weight onto idler wheels, that are more centered and off of the main wheels, that it might turn better

The final diagram is as far as I've gotten so far. The center spine will probably need to be shorter, just stubbed in. Black thing is a space for the battery maybe. Motors will fit her if desired (I might move them, but if they're "high", they'll help pull the ends of the axles up to counteract bowing?) There are braces on the axles to maybe help keep the axles stable.

It's worth noting that my wheels are on bearings and both axles are static in this current design. That seemed structurally stronger and avoids having to try to figure out how to get the left & right sides having different axles.

Messages In This Thread
Shawn & Lara need a Toolbox... Droid? - by kresty - 03-15-2018, 05:50 PM
RE: Shawn & Lara need a Toolbox... Droid? - by kresty - 06-10-2018, 08:16 PM
Shawn & Lara need a Toolbox... Droid? - by Dyne - 09-28-2019, 07:18 AM