Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSE Flat Pack Laser Ready Plans?
Hey All!

I've been wanting to start a mouse droid for a bit.

I'm Looking for laser ready flat pack files? I've grabbed
the .pdf's available here but it will take some work to
make them laser ready.

Just wondering if anyone had the files in .dxf format or
something more laser friendly?

I tried the "other" message board but it's silent.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kris

-= Lumpy =-

Red-Deer R2-D2
(01-03-2018, 12:03 PM)Lumpy Wrote: Hey All!

I've been wanting to start a mouse droid for a bit.

I'm Looking for laser ready flat pack files? I've grabbed
the .pdf's available here but it will take some work to
make them laser ready.

Just wondering if anyone had the files in .dxf format or
something more laser friendly?

I tried the "other" message board but it's silent.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kris

I think SavageCreature created the PDFs from a dxf Smile  You can PM him and see.

I can import the PDF into CorelDraw and save as DXF.  Not sure how well that'll work, but it's worth a shot.  You should probably double check the scaling to make sure there wasn't a translation error somewhere down the chain.

What size is your laser bed?
(01-03-2018, 07:24 PM)kresty Wrote: I think SavageCreature created the PDFs from a dxf Smile  You can PM him and see.

I can import the PDF into CorelDraw and save as DXF.  Not sure how well that'll work, but it's worth a shot.  You should probably double check the scaling to make sure there wasn't a translation error somewhere down the chain.

What size is your laser bed?

I have a buddy who is going to try importing into Fusion360 to see if it will convert it over. 

Laser bed size is 12"x24" Trotec Speedy 100

I tried going the Granite Earth route but they wanted $60 for shell and $120 for shipping. That's about $250 CAD total.. Too rich for me.

Kris

-= Lumpy =-

Red-Deer R2-D2
Oh, ouch, the PDFs are all bitmaps, not vector, that won't work. Savage, can you re-export them as vectors?
(01-03-2018, 07:53 PM)Lumpy Wrote: Laser bed size is 12"x24" Trotec Speedy 100

I'm having a go at plans for the laser, however 12x24 is a bit small for the base, which is 22x12.25 (so 1/4" too wide Sad )  That bit I suppose could either be chopped in half, or (since it's straight lines) be cut by other methods.

That bit is also two 0.6" thick sections, with a 0.45" spacer between them.  I'm not quite sure what the best approach would be there.  That's about right for plywood, but a big hunk of wood that size is gonna be a bit heavy.  Several layers of styrene would work.  Probably not worth trying to make that part "boxy"
(01-04-2018, 10:44 PM)kresty Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 07:53 PM)Lumpy Wrote: Laser bed size is 12"x24" Trotec Speedy 100

I'm having a go at plans for the laser, however 12x24 is a bit small for the base, which is 22x12.25 (so 1/4" too wide Sad )  That bit I suppose could either be chopped in half, or (since it's straight lines) be cut by other methods.

That bit is also two 0.6" thick sections, with a 0.45" spacer between them.  I'm not quite sure what the best approach would be there.  That's about right for plywood, but a big hunk of wood that size is gonna be a bit heavy.  Several layers of styrene would work.  Probably not worth trying to make that part "boxy"

Awesome! 

I have access to another laser that is 24"x 36" as well but I was thinking to chop that part in half.
Yes I'm thinking of using a mixture of materials, styrene and baltic birch to start and layering if needed.
Probably do some resin/fiberglass support on the inside.

Any help is appreciated!

Kris

-= Lumpy =-

Red-Deer R2-D2
(01-05-2018, 09:27 AM)Lumpy Wrote: Awesome! 

I have access to another laser that is 24"x 36" as well but I was thinking to chop that part in half.
Yes I'm thinking of using a mixture of materials, styrene and baltic birch to start and layering if needed.

Any help is appreciated!

Kris
Cool, I'll try to get time to post something. I guess in both formats (is vector PDF OK?)

I was toying with whether to add a few alignment tabs to help fit the sides or leave the edges straight (either way is going to need a little plastic putty or something to finish the edges since they're not 90 degree angles).
(01-05-2018, 12:24 PM)kresty Wrote:
(01-05-2018, 09:27 AM)Lumpy Wrote: Awesome! 

Any help is appreciated!

Kris
Cool, I'll try to get time to post something.  I guess in both formats (is vector PDF OK?)

I was toying with whether to add a few alignment tabs to help fit the sides or leave the edges straight (either way is going to need a little plastic putty or something to finish the edges since they're not 90 degree angles).

.dxf .svg vector .pdf It needs to be editable so we can change the line colors for the laser. For Trotec red (RGB 255, 0 , 0) is cut.

Cheers!

-= Lumpy =-

Red-Deer R2-D2
If you want to play with converting graphics to PDFs, there's also my Mouse Droid plans.

http://www.modular-models.com/mouse.rar

RAR is the same idea as a ZIP file. If your unzipping program doesn't read it, hit WinRAR.com for a free download.
(01-10-2018, 06:34 PM)Ziz Wrote: If you want to play with converting graphics to PDFs, there's also my Mouse Droid plans.

http://www.modular-models.com/mouse.rar

RAR is the same idea as a ZIP file.  If your unzipping program doesn't read it, hit WinRAR.com for a free download.

It's easier for cnc type equipment to use .dxf and such. If the .pdf is not saved correctly is a bugger 
to edit/convert. My last option is to use .pdf...

-= Lumpy =-

Red-Deer R2-D2