Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shawn's Printed DRK-1
Well, I've been wanting to print a DRK-1 for some time and haven't had much luck.

Anyhoo, I'm working to see if I can get this one printable.  Working on fixing bits I don't like, cleaning it up, and then separating for printing.  Haven't quite decided yet how I'm going to split it out for the printer, I'd like to have it print reasonably cleanly (eg: not need a ton of supports or other junk that needs cleaned up/might be visible.)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=222]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Oops, that was the back side Smile Anyhoo, Savage says he's been working on a model, so I guess I'm stalled until we can compare notes.
WOW ! Shut up and release those files

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My biggest problem at the moment is that the hood is only one side - I'm seeking professional help Smile
If I do land on 9"-12" this thing's definitely too low res for that. Going to need improvement. Thought it was smaller!
Hmm, this thread was stalled for a while!!!

Well, the hood is way too big to fit on the print bed, so I had to chop it into parts, my first attempt split it down the middle and in thirds.

Trouble is that the "grill" in the middle is wiggly, so would need support for that middle section.  And the support posts are just annoying in that orientation, needing support to print.

So, I split the middle section in two again.  

I managed to nest the larger pieces (opposite corners) and barely get them to fit on the XYZ Printer.  No clue how long the print was, but over 25 hours!!!

The ones with the supports were tougher to arrange, but again the opposite pairs managed to barely fit.  Fortunately it printed faster!

[Image: normal_Split_support.png]
Here're the first 6 parts I printed.  Missing opposite corners (right rear, front left).  Tennis ball for scale.

[Image: normal_DRK-1_3D_Print_Start_28129.jpg]

[Image: normal_DRK-1_3D_Print_Start_28229.jpg]

[Image: normal_DRK-1_3D_Print_Start_28329.jpg]

[Image: normal_DRK-1_3D_Print_Start_28429.jpg]

A couple more photos - I tried using these for scale, but Savage objected to using our cat for scale, hence the previous tennis ball.

[Image: normal_DRK-1_3D_Print_Start_28529.jpg]

Thanks Savage!

The plan is to us CA to attach these together, then fill gaps with putty.  

I was able to print these 2-up on the XYZ Printer, but they'll only go 1 at a time on the FlashForge/Replicator clones - Given the print time that might be *way* saner anyway!

Printed at 0.2mm layer height with no support.  

One pair of the middle sections sticks out a bit, the overhang isn't as pretty as it could be since I didn't use support.  Should be fine with putty & sanding though.
(Savage is still considering these "alpha" files, so we're trying to make sure a build or two don't fail too miserably before posting the complete file set).
Last two sections of the hood printed, but there's an oops.

[Image: normal_DRK-1_3D_Print_Start_281229.jpg]
Shawn's 3D Printed DRK-1
Using Savage's Plans

The printer delaminated the edge after the hole (I'd happened to slice it at the edge of a mount point).  Eventually it got knocked loose.  Once above the hole it eventually reconnected, but there was a bunch of spaghetti and the edge isn't in great shape.

[Image: normal_DRK-1_3D_Print_Start_281329.jpg]
Shawn's 3D Printed DRK-1
Using Savage's Plans

I'll probably reprint it to prove that it works, otherwise I'd just fill the gaps and reshape the messed up part as this is a ridiculously long print.
So, I'd chopped up the "skids" a little behind the middle so they could print vertically - worked OK for the test, but it was too small - so I'm doing the same thing with the real size ones.

[Image: normal_Split_Skids.png]
Skid plates chopped up
Whoops, a little too big for the XYZ Printer all at once

But... wow, they're big. I could've packed them tighter, but this way they're too big for the XYZ bed. Also pretty tall since I didn't slice in the middle.

So I'm printing them one pair at a time now... We'll see how it goes.

My "theory" for splitting them is that if the support things are on both pieces, then it'll help stabilize when printing and align when gluing. If I split "behind" the support, then it'd be hanging in the middle of the air.

Anyway, the test is without support. We'll see how it goes...