Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DRK-1 Probe Droid
"ping"
Is this available Kresty lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think the ping was politely directed at me Big Grin
I took a week vacation Savage, surely that gave you enough time to finish? ;-)
If you're looking for people to help test the models, I've got a 3D printer these days.

Just saying. Angel
It's getting closer
kresty is in the process of beating up my design. As soon as we figure out how to fit it on a print bed we'll let folks have a go at it.

[Image: normal_sploded.PNG]
kresty has got parts running. Looking forward to seeing how they come out. I've been running some, too, but this droid is larger than it seems, so it's not fast.  Here's the lower instrument sphere:

[Image: normal_lower_sphere_fit~1.jpg]

I'll make a build log to show any additional images moving forward.
Looks good. Can't wait to get my hands on it!
I think we're getting close... They'll probably need some slicing, and one of my big sections didn't print terribly well over the weekend Sad (Well, 95% of it is fine, but part of it slipped off the bed and got all weird).
I started laying out the body_sphere_front for slicing, and noticed that as-is, it needs to be printed narrow-end-up (like a dome), but that with a slight change to the slice of the piece, it could be printed narrow-end-down (like a bowl), saving about 1/3 (120g) of the plastic in the process, by not need much in the way of supports at all.

It would take slicing off just 1-2mm (5-10 layers @0.2mm) before it can be cleanly printed with that side on the print bed.
Could those layers be made part of front_fitting_ring piece, or are they there to make aligning the two pieces easier?  (In which case, using holes for filament-diameter pegs could also work.)

Doing similar slices to the body_sphere_back could drastically reduce the filament needed for supports.

If not that, then baking the minimum necessary supports into the mesh itself might be worth a shot.