Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Even More Droids!
Hmm, I don't think I'm going to be able to keep up with the wiki index!
It's been too long since I've added another droid, so . . .

I recently acquired a new book, the Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia.  Figgin' awesome book for those of us who build this stuff. Not only droids but helmets, costumes, weapons  . .  whatever you're thinking about from the Star Wars universe. I was shocked by how much obscure, awesome stuff there was represented in this book.

One of the images in the book was this close up of the HURID 327 glimpsed briefly in The Force Awakens.  (click it for the supersized version)

[Image: normal_HURID327_02.png]

I was doing some other forum related stuff and one of our banners featuring this same droid popped up and I was inspired to look into it further.

As you would expect, there's not much on this droid as it got so little screen time, but those have always been the ones that captured my imagination the most. I was able to track down two images. Mind you, there were many variations of these two images out there to look at, but when compared closely, they were the same two images just presented in different ways. I'll keep searching. Hopefully I'll be able to find more.

In my enthusiasm I almost started work on a set of construction plans, but then I came to my senses. Not only do I have half a dozen other droids that need to be finished before I start any new ones, but this droid is friggin' huge!  I have no idea where I'd put it if I ever managed to get one built.  Sure would look awesome as part of a display at Celebration, though, wouldn't it?

And of course, you can grab some screen caps here and there to help fill in some of the gaps

[Image: normal_HURID_screen_cap.png]

And lastly, the awesome original concept art by Luke Fisher.  Unfortunately, like a great deal of concept art, it's light on detail and heavy on mood, but at least it gives us a look (of sorts) of what the back of the droid looks like.  If nothing else, if images of the rear of the droid never crop up and one of us builds one, no one will be able to tell that we made up what the back looks like.

[Image: normal_luke-fisher-hurid.jpg]

pretty cool
I was looking at these images today wondering how they animated this robot. I knew it was a practical prop, so they had to have some method. Either a guy behind it they removed in post like C-3P0 or BB-8, etc.  

I am now convinced that it's a person on stilts. You can sort of see a pair of human legs in here, and the robots legs even look like sheetrockers stilts.  And if you watch the clip the robot is in it even moves like the clowns on stilts when you see them in a parade.

[Image: HURID327_stilts.png]
Hey, Joe (or whomever), let's see you try to balance with 100lbs of crap hanging out in front of you! Smile
Savage, you were bemoaning the lack of new droids. Of course you did see the new imperial BB-8 knock-off?
I did, I did.

But I think it's even worse than BB-8, so I'm not particularly excited about that one.