Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Even More Droids!
In my ongoing, continuous, research on all things droid I run across all sorts of obscure, way cool droids that I haven't seen in other forums and such, and definitely haven't seen anyone build one, full scale or otherwise. Occasionally I'll put one or two here with whatever information I can put together.

Who knows, maybe I'll build some of them one day. Or maybe my putting them here will inspire someone else to beat me to it.

The Star Wars Visual Dictionaries (there are a number of different ones) are a great resource for all sorts of stuff from the Star Wars Saga that you might not have caught watching the films, and I enjoy perusing them seeing what new thing will catch my eye.  This time it was this guy:

[Image: normal_portDroid_02.jpg]

He's from Revenge of the Sith, though I don't think I could tell you what scene, and I think he's pretty cool. I guess part of what I find appealing when I look at him is that I think I could actually build him.

It's called an Ordnance Lifter droid, a close relative of the Binary Load Lifters C-3P0 mentioned to Owen Lars. It's 9ft 10in tall and basically a walking forklift.
'nother obscure, unknown droid. This one is a Hover Loader, also (not really) seen in Revenge of the Sith.

[Image: normal_hoverLoader.jpg]

I would love to see some additional views of this one.
And who doesn't love TC-3? I think he's one of the more interesting looking protocol droids. Though shiny metal is attractive to all primates, hairless or otherwise, it does have a sort of uniformity to it. TC-3 actually has a color scheme which I think makes him pretty cool and it opens up a whole world of possibilities for making protocol droids.

[Image: normal_TC3-SWE.jpg]
I must admit, I was starting to feel like I had found all the droids there were to find in these existing six films, but then I looked a little harder.

I got the book, Secret Lives of Droids. It's a children's book and doesn't really say anything particularly useful (at least not to me) but it did have a bunch of droid images that I had never see before.  I discovered this beauty, for instance:

[Image: normal_FA-5_valet_negtd.jpg]

I love the look of this droid. On top of that it doesn't float or do anything crazy, so it seems like a droid that someone could actually build. That's always a quality I like in a droid.

As I understand it, this droid was seen in Revenge of the Sith.

[Image: fa_5.jpg]
(05-24-2015, 10:00 PM)SavageCreature Wrote:
I love the look of this droid. On top of that it doesn't float or do anything crazy, so it seems like a droid that someone could actually build. That's always a quality I like in a droid.

Um, Savage, there's this thing called CG.  They don't actually have to make buildable droids for the movies you know.  IMO, he looks pretty twig-like, so maybe his legs would break in real life, or servos would be impractical or whatever.  Where would you even put a battery?

I hope I didn't shock you too badly. 

Besides, aren't you already working on about 50 other droids?
(05-24-2015, 10:48 PM)kresty Wrote: Um, Savage, there's this thing called CG.  They don't actually have to make buildable droids for the movies you know.  IMO, he looks pretty twig-like, so maybe his legs would break in real life, or servos would be impractical or whatever.  Where would you even put a battery?

I hope I didn't shock you too badly. 

Besides, aren't you already working on about 50 other droids?

*sigh*
Another one in a similar vein to the last:

[Image: normal_DookuDroid.JPG]

This could even be the same droid with a different head, or maybe just a different color scheme. 
(05-26-2015, 04:26 PM)savagecreature Wrote: This could even be the same droid with a different head, or maybe just a different color scheme. 

I dunno, would they have room to store all those CG head variations?  And, if so, would they be able to find the files again?
Would someone please take that stick away from him? You know, the one he keeps pokin' me with.
There are a couple of other droids in the first pix, which kind of made me wonder, if you're doing background and you have all these CG parts, seems like it'd be "easy" to get a crazy variety of droids.