Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do Jawas have a "Demolitionmech" Droid
Smells like a continuity thing to me.  I imagine they probably didn't have names or purposes in ANH other than set dressing, so I guess the LIN class droids got a reason to exist later?  (Books or something?) 

But, given that Wookiepeedia's calling them "Demolitionmech" minelaying/mining droids, Savage and I were wondering what in the world the Jawa's could have been doing with one?  Or why they would possibly think the Lars would've been interested in buying one?

Not to mention which, Luke rubs his hand over one like when one admires a used car, why would Luke think an minelayer would be cool?  (Or even why would he think it would be wise to touch an explosives droid that had been in the "care" of the Jawas?)

I guess we know Jawas will salvage anything, so then the question would be why a mining bot used to set explosives would be used on a desert planet.  Blowing up a sand dune isn't gonna accomplish much!

Maybe some stupid off-world big game hunter thought it would be useful to take down a sarlacc?
(10-18-2017, 11:01 PM)kresty Wrote: Smells like a continuity thing to me.  I imagine they probably didn't have names or purposes in ANH other than set dressing, so I guess the LIN class droids got a reason to exist later?  (Books or something?) 

But, given that Wookiepeedia's calling them "Demolitionmech" minelaying/mining droids, Savage and I were wondering what in the world the Jawa's could have been doing with one?  Or why they would possibly think the Lars would've been interested in buying one?

Not to mention which, Luke rubs his hand over one like when one admires a used car, why would Luke think an minelayer would be cool?  (Or even why would he think it would be wise to touch an explosives droid that had been in the "care" of the Jawas?)

I guess we know Jawas will salvage anything, so then the question would be why a mining bot used to set explosives would be used on a desert planet.  Blowing up a sand dune isn't gonna accomplish much!

Maybe some stupid off-world big game hunter thought it would be useful to take down a sarlacc?

In the pre-history of Tattooine, mining corporations came to the planet seeking valuable minerals. They discovered the majority of the minerals were worthless and eventually abandoned the planet, leaving their equipment (sandcrawlers) behind.

The presence of the miners, though, had repercussions on the two main races of the planet:

The mining corporations broke treaties with the Tusken Raiders, causing a seething hatred of the remaining human settlers resulting in repeated attacks on them.

The Jawas absconded with the sandcrawlers and any scrap technology, creating an entire new way of life and culture for them.

Likely the demolitionmech was leftover from the mining days. Luke was probably familiar enough with the history of droids and the planet to have a little admiration for the little fellow. Like an equestrian recognizing and appreciating an old war horse. We know the Jawas pick up any sort of junk and droids they find as they roam the desert. The droid could have even been left in their sandcrawler years ago.

If I was Owen Lars I could see a few reasons for purchasing the demolitionmech:

1. Using it to blast out deeper underground rooms/passages for the Lars homestead.
2. Using it for parts to fix their WED-15 Treadwell droid
3. Modifying it to be a security bot in case any Tusken Raiders/Krayt Dragons happened to come around

Does that help?
Cool! That's an awesome backstory! (and in credibly nerdy Smile) Did you read that somewhere or come up with it on your own?

In a strange way I feel much better about it now.
I should've realized there was more backstory to that. And, duh, we knew that sandcrawlers existed. I gather that came from some of the books? Any good stories about that era?
(10-22-2017, 07:24 AM)savagecreature Wrote: Cool! That's an awesome backstory! (and in credibly nerdy Smile)  Did you read that somewhere or come up with it on your own?

In a strange way I feel much better about it now.

Combination. The pre-history of Tattooine is on Wookiepedia, most of which I believe is considered canon. That includes the Tusken Raiders and their society with clear Native American influences (bonding with banthas, getting revenge on settlers for breaking treaties, etc.) and the Jawas who created a completely new society based on Sandcrawlers, droids and scrap, to the point where clans of Jawas will have massive "swap meets" out in the desert to trade parts.

I was just spitballing on the demo droid's origins and uses... although Wookiepedia does state this:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/LIN-V8K

"LIN-V8K was an LIN Demolitionmech droid used for mining operations. He planted explosives on rocks to clear a path in mines. He could see through radiation, fog and even sand and light ground fill. He was found by Jawas on Tatooine at an abandoned military garrison. The Jawa sandcrawler, in which he was to be sold from was later raided by the Galactic Empire. LIN-V8K was rescued by the Squib trader Macemillian-winduarté before the Imperials destroyed the sandcrawler."
It's a good thing someone is Star Wars-Geekier than me.