Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Many Faces of Treadwell
I've never spent much time looking at or thinking about Treadwells until one of our members requested their addition to the ranks of our droids. I had seen them in the films and just sorta glossed over them, thinking all Treadwells were created equal. I'm a little embarrassed by that, considering how much time I've spent pouring over other details of these movies.

I had always thought that this was a Treadwell:

[Image: normal_WED_Septoid_anh.png]

But somehow in my head that droid was merged with this one:

[Image: normal_Wed15-77.jpg]

like the WED 15's head but with all the arms that the Septoid has. (If I even got the names right)

I went and read the wookiepedia entries for them today (the images are borrowed from them) and am now realizing that there are as many different Treadwells as there are astromechs. That's kinda cool!
(11-02-2014, 12:05 PM)savagecreature Wrote: I've never spent much time looking at or thinking about Treadwells until one of our members requested their addition to the ranks of our droids.  I had seen them in the films and just sorta glossed over them, thinking all Treadwells were created equal.  I'm a little embarrassed by that, considering how much time I've spent pouring over other details of these movies.

I had always thought that this was a Treadwell:

But somehow in my head that droid was merged with this one:

[Image: normal_Wed15-77.jpg]

like the WED 15's head but with all the arms that the Septoid has. (If I even got the names right)

I went and read the wookiepedia entries for them today (the images are borrowed from them) and am now realizing that there are as many different Treadwells as there are astromechs.  That's kinda cool!

I'm looking at building one of these before I attempt an Astromech but I can't find any plans or blueprints. I applied for the Yahoo Treadwell builder's group a couple of weeks ago but still have not been verified as a member. Is there anyone out there who has the WED-15 plans hosted somewhere? I'd rather work off of a blueprint than try to do this from scratch.

Thanks
I've posted the plans from the Yahoo Treadwell group to our files section.  I don't usually like to just up and move stuff from another group to ours like that, but there hasn't been any activity on the Treadwell group in over year. 

You can find them here:

Treadwell Plans

and check out Paul6700's treadwell build thread if you haven't already. It's awesome.

Paul6700's Treadwell

I hope these help and I'm really looking forward to following your build. We all hope you post a lot of pictures!
(09-02-2015, 06:31 AM)savagecreature Wrote: I've posted the plans from the Yahoo Treadwell group to our files section.  I don't usually like to just up and move stuff from another group to ours like that, but there hasn't been any activity on the Treadwell group in over year. 

You can find them here:

Treadwell Plans

and check out Paul6700's treadwell build thread if you haven't already. It's awesome.

Paul6700's Treadwell

I hope these help and I'm really looking forward to following your build. We all hope you post a lot of pictures!

Awesome! I appreciate it!

Looking forward to starting this over the weekend, all goes well.
Here is some more reference material:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7246...adwell.zip
I can't figure out how to upload to the files to the reference or construction plans page. It looks like I don't have permission.
(09-05-2015, 07:48 AM)Conqueror_Worm Wrote: Here is some more reference material:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7246...adwell.zip
I can't figure out how to upload to the files to the reference or construction plans page.  It looks like I don't have permission.

Oh yeah! I had totally forgotten about those! I have a copy of those lying around here somewhere, too. Thanks for supplying them (and reminding me of their existence!).

In addition to your link above, I've added them to the reference section.
I also added some Bluray screen captures of the tredwell helping Han Solo repair the falcon from Empire. I believe that that tredwell had more arms than the one helping Luke on the farm.  (though I'm not entirely sure)

Edit: I also added some frames from the deleted footage of Luke with the treadwell on Tatooine.  It seems like this treadwell has maybe one less arm? In any case, the tools at the end of the arms are different than the one working Han.
I was poking around looking at treadwell images on the interweb  and ran across Mountain State Droid Builders, a group that caters to astromech, MSE and treadwell builders.  They had this really cool image that I just had to share.

[Image: MSDB.jpg]

Edit:  I was looking through their forum over there.  Seems a couple of our members are members over there as well, which I think is kind of exciting. Smile
(09-10-2015, 04:51 PM)kresty Wrote: as many different Treadwells a...

a what Savage?

As there are sand ticks on a Bantha?

Snowballs on Hoth?

Ewoks on the bottom of a walker's foot?
Tell you what... saw The Force Awakens (enjoyed it - way better than the prequels, that's for sure) and I spotted a little treadwell droid that I loved.

I can't even remember the exact scene now, although I'll probably go see it again on Christmas with my roommate so I'll have to pay closer attention. But if I can find some info on that little fellow I might try to make that a future project.

Kind of stalled on my WED-15 as I need to get the wheels and the PVC couplings are about $5 - $6 each. Couldn't really afford that until recently.