Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MCK-Y the Lego Mouse Droid Build
Wish we could have been there, especially since the two of you went. Would have been a great time

great images
Next time!
MCK-Y's flickr album is at https://www.flickr.com/photos/120610722@...1357224063 - stuck a bunch of things from Celebration London there.
Not sure if I posted this before, but some folks were talking about mice lighting:

These are the ws2812b type LED lights off of ebay. 60/meter and meter fit perfectly on MCK-Y. We use one channel of the remote to send an analog signal to the droid. Decoding that, - numbers are solid patterns and + numbers are chasing patterns. Even fancier, going to the end and then back gets you the filled chase instead of a single chase.

Anyway, I love these LEDs, very flexible and simple to program.

[EDIT: We've cut down the LEDs to every-other-one. Last a lot longer that way, drawing 1/2 the power]
This is what I am doing on the MSE-9 ...
Well, MCK-Y's being cloned for MaW, so we wanted to make him more reliable.  One of the pain points is the wheels.  Getting foam into the tires is tough.  It cured unevenly and broke down, making MCK-Y wobble a lot when driving.  Which looked cute, but helped shake him to pieces.

And then I discovered Ninjaflex.  (Which Ninjatek is happily donating for the MaW droid, thanks guys!)

So I've printed some new "innertubes" for the wheels/tires that keep them from collapsing.

The rubber is pretty stiff (which is good), so it took a bit of work to get it over the rim.  And to get the tire over the innertube.  I left voids in 2 directions to help that a bit (as you can see below).  

[Image: normal_WP_20170515_22_21_23_Pro_281024x76929.jpg]
Ninjaflex Innertube Cross Section
Ninjaflex Innertube Cross Section

[Image: normal_WP_20170518_17_42_45_Pro_281024x57629.jpg]
Printing Ninjaflex Innertube
Printing the new Innertubes for Mouse Droid

[Image: normal_Lego_MCK-Y_Mouse_Wheel_28529_281024x77529.jpg]
Ninjaflex Innertube
Ninjaflex Innertube for MCK-Y Mouse Droid Wheel

[Image: normal_Lego_MCK-Y_Mouse_Wheel_28329_281024x75229.jpg]
Ninjaflex Innertube

[Image: normal_Lego_MCK-Y_Mouse_Wheel_28229_28800x70129.jpg]
Ninjaflex Innertube

[Image: normal_Lego_MCK-Y_Mouse_Wheel_28129_28800x63829.jpg]
Ninjaflex Innertube
That's really cool! I love ninja flex. Awesome stuff.
Yea, it's kinda a pain to print with, but it's great for this application. They donated a couple spools for the Make-a-Wish droid's tires, so that's cool too!

My settings / the layout let it be a little stringy, but that's OK for this project.
Well, we hung out at ECCC 2023 last weekend, so I'll post his group photo here too.

MCK-Y's been doing pretty well and is fairly reliable. Seems to be using less power, but the floor lighting isn't running, so it could just be that. Some of his skirts are falling off. Really need to make them work better, more like the MAW-1 version.

[Image: normal_Droids_at_ECCC_2023_-_BB-82C_D-O2..._L3-G0.jpg]
Kresty's Droids at ECCC 2023
Lego BB-8, D-O, H-O15 Sentry, MCK-Y, Toolbox, L3-G0

Ze and Lara took him to see The Hulk, who thought he was pretty cool. (Cool enough to take selfies anyway!)

[Image: normal_Ze_and_Mark_Ruffalo_28Hulk29_and_MCK-Y.jpg]
Ze and Mark Ruffalo (Hulk) and MCK-Y
Ze and Mark Ruffalo (Hulk) and MCK-Y