Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Pennsylvania
Earlier this year I finished work on Stormtrooper armor. Currently I'm finishing an X-Wing pilot costume but it wasn't as fun as the Stormtrooper. I think the fun is in the building and I want to start with an MSE-6. Ideally 1:1 and I hope at some point I can build a custom RC drive system as opposed to buying and RC car and putting a shell on top. I have a slight background in electronics but I'm expecting to push that knowledge to the limits and gain more.

I expect the build to start in Fall of 2017. I have a fixed monthly hobby budget so if this is something I enjoy it'll slowly but surely grow. I haven't dug into the forums yet but I certainly will soon to get a list of parts and tools needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Welcome to the group! I look forward to seeing your builds as they progress, and I'm sure all of us will do anything we can to help out Smile
Welcome. I'd love to see a printable MSE-6 frame for the drivetrain so one doesn't have to cannibalize a kit.
Combing through some of the threads provides more questions than answers (as I expected). First off, I love how this group is all about experimentation and fun. It's refreshing coming off of the TK costume build where things were so rigid. I have a few questions to post here, since my build is a few months down the road I am unsure if I should make a build thread to ask or start here. I'll let them fly and we can make a new thread if that would work better.

I'm looking at 1:1 scale but I see a lot of smaller options. Is this just for convenience for adding an RC car underneath, easier storage, or am I missing something?

Looking at shell options I see a supplier (granite earth I believe). Looks like a vacuum formed shell. Any pros or cons to that route? I assume the dimensions are consistent and the integrity and weight are a nice mix of sturdy and light. As with anything I assume availability and wait times will be a factor.

There was a thread about using a gun style transmitter but the thread fizzled out before a review. Any first hand comparisons with them?

Any RC forums I could join for inspiration?

On the fence between greeblies (which some of the hand made ones on this forum are awesome) and Rebels-style lights. Pretty sure that will just be builders preference but any input on them is appreciated.

Finally, what advice did you wish you had when you started? I'm looking at build threads and I requested to join the Facebook group. Am I missing a holy grail-style build document or website?

It's a lot but any direction helps. Thanks
(04-23-2017, 01:31 PM)zavalanskiaj Wrote: Combing through some of the threads provides more questions than answers (as I expected). First off, I love how this group is all about experimentation and fun. It's refreshing coming off of the TK costume build where things were so rigid. I have a few questions to post here, since my build is a few months down the road I am unsure if I should make a build thread to ask or start here. I'll let them fly and we can make a new thread if that would work better.

I'm good with wherever you'd like to post. Kresty might move things around, though. He's more picky about things like that Wink

Quote:I'm looking at 1:1 scale but I see a lot of smaller options. Is this just for convenience for adding an RC car underneath, easier storage, or am I missing something?

I don't think you're missing anything. I can give you my answer, but I'm sure there are other answers out there so other people might chime in.

All of these droids end up being a lot bigger than most of us expect when we see a 1:1 scale version in person. The MSE is no exception. I'm still taken back by how large they are when I see one full scale. So I think a lot of folks make smaller scale versions so they're easier to store, easier to transport, and less expensive to construct.  

I personally am a robot builder first and a Star Wars fan second, so I design and build my robots to operate in the world we live in now, not long ago in a galaxy far, far away. I started this whole mess by building an astromech. R2 was designed to have a person (albeit a little person) inside, so once again much larger than most people expect. I ended up scaling mine down so it could actually fit through my front door and move around the house without having to move furniture. Most of my subsequent builds (but not all) have been scaled down to match my astromech because it appeals to my strange sense of symmetry (or something).

Quote:Looking at shell options I see a supplier (granite  earth I believe). Looks like a vacuum formed shell. Any pros or cons to that route? I assume the dimensions are consistent and the integrity and weight are a nice mix of sturdy and light. As with anything I assume availability and wait times will be a factor.

Though I made my own MSE shell, I have used many vacu-formed parts and have a couple of the machines myself. The only cons I can think of is that sometimes there are places where the plastic gets thin or where webbing may occur that has to be cleaned up. I like vacu-formed parts and often prefer to use it as a fabrication method.

Yes, wait times and availability is always a factor, unfortunately

Quote:There was a thread about using a gun style transmitter but the thread fizzled out before a review. Any first hand comparisons with them?

Any RC forums I could join for inspiration?

Here's where I'm going to fall down on the job completely. I don't know much about hobby RC systems. Someone else will have to step in and offer an opinion on that one.

Quote:On the fence between greeblies (which some of the hand made ones on this forum are awesome) and Rebels-style lights. Pretty sure that will just be builders preference but any input on them is appreciated.

definitely dealers choice. These droids are all about fulfilling *your* dreams, so the droid that makes you happy is definitely the one you should build.
having said that, I'm a classicist. I like the original run-away-from-chewbacca look

Quote:Finally, what advice did you wish you had when you started? I'm looking at build threads and I requested to join the Facebook group. Am I missing a holy grail-style build document or website?

Actually, I think you're already doing it right. the only advice I try to give is; this is a complex process (even the simple droids can be) so take it slow, do a lot of research, have an idea of where you're headed, but don't be afraid to dive in and give it a try.  

Hope at least some of that helps Smile  

And once again, welcome to the group.
Go for a build thread, we don't mind Smile

Mice are bigger than you would expect.

Maybe make the greeblies interchangeable? Why not? Best of both! Unplug the lights and add classic ones, or pull them off and plug in lights! Sound fun.

I'm not sure about R/C forums, but R/C cars are pretty easy. I started playing with some wiki information for them on our wiki....
http://www.rebeldroids.net/wiki/index.ph...ansmitters

Currently for mice there's a lot of traffic on the facebook site, I'd recommend checking out the build logs here though, and please feel free to share your progress, etc for others.

Thanks!
Oh, BTW, to learn about R/C cars, I started with an appropriately sized R/C car kit. We actually got two, a "ready to run" (which isn't quite ready to run) to see how the things worked, and a kit to build the droid from. We could've reused the one, but were having fun with it.
And because I could, I wrote some R/C car stuff for the wiki.... http://www.rebeldroids.net/wiki/index.ph...e=R/C_Cars