Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Identifiying Parts
This is a droid I have built a few times in the past. Once when I was a kid and again when I was older, then ultimately a CG version. Each time I managed to get it closer in accuracy to the original prop. These days it's been done so many times and so well I'm not sure that there's still even interest, but I still like this little droid (well, I think of it as a droid, anyway) so I'm going to include it for completeness and for those who might enjoy it.

This is one of those star wars props that's obviously constructed from found objects. In this case specifically plastic model parts. I have theories what most of the parts are, but if anyone has better information (or better guesses) please post and let us all know.

I'll start with the biggest, most obvious, and easiest to spot; the main recessed ports (anti-gravity repulsors, blaster emitters, whatever they are)

[Image: normal_remote_02.jpg]

These are the chromed plastic wheel-rims from a model kit of a semi-tractor trailer (though I've never been able to identify exactly which one)

Some of the details on the top are obviously tank treads and it looks like some of the other deelies are tank hatches and tank bogies turned over so the axle is pointing up.
Cool! Not sure I'd confess to building it multiple times, but pretty nifty.

I'd think identifying the exact parts would be pretty tough. Wonder what they used for the sphere?
Okay, I've been doing some deep research (and will continue to do so) and have learned some specifics.

I found nearly all of the information I was looking for on various threads in the RPF (Replica Prop builders Forum). A huge thanks to BrundleFly for collecting the information and to Luke0312 for being kind enough to share it with me.

Those pieces are indeed tank hatches and treads. They're from a Tamiya 1/48th scale Panther Type G tank model.

The chrome truck rims are from a 1/24th trailer kit. Which one isn't as important as the scale and that they match the look.

So, that mystery is resolved! Now to get to makin' 'em!
I'm always impressed with people able to identify found parts on props, be they model pieces or other. Very fun stuff!
I've been trying to figure out how to build one of these around one of those gyro-type flying things you see at cons. I was going to attempt this in metal, but I think lightweight plastic would be better if I can get it to fly like in the movie. I have some reference pics from RPF and Wookepedia, just never found time to make one yet. Someday I'll make one, after R1 of course.
"To do is to be" - Socrates
"To be is to do" - Plato
"Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

http://r2-al.blogspot.com
I could see making one out of a small quadcopter like the guy has been doing with other Star Wars ships...
(06-24-2015, 04:12 PM)gschumsky Wrote: I could see making one out of a small quadcopter like the guy has been doing with other Star Wars ships...

Hmmmm . . . .

[Image: 41FHUZGOreL.jpg]
Savage, where'd you find that drone?
"Schubert Droid Works" on FB, @SchubertDroids on Twitter
But what did they use for the main body of the thing?
How do you make the shell so air can get through it?

Ooh, and you've gotta do the "jet" thing.