Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pit Droid Ponderings
(07-05-2016, 05:55 PM)Xkuco Wrote: I am trying to build a life size pit droid I would like the file Ill post progress on here and any recommendations to the file during build savage

It's on the list to release some of the 3D models of the Pit Droid this month as part of our celebration.  When they're ready I'll make sure you're one of the first people to know! Big Grin
(07-05-2016, 09:16 PM)savagecreature Wrote:
(07-05-2016, 05:55 PM)Xkuco Wrote: I am trying to build a life size pit droid I would like the file Ill post progress on here and any recommendations to the file during build savage

It's on the list to release some of the 3D models of the Pit Droid this month as part of our celebration.  When they're ready I'll make sure you're one of the first people to know! Big Grin

awesome hope to see them and compare to what I have
Okay . . .  now that the DRK 1 is at least to a point that folks can tear it up, I guess I'd better get back to this and fulfill my long overdue promises! Old members and new members alike have expressed interest.

I'll start posting WIP images this weekend.

I'm still looking for accurate beneath the dome detail. The toys (I have pretty much all of them) are not at all accurate. I've got some images, but they're blurry and it's impossible to see exactly what's there besides the primary shapes.  In the mean time I'll break the rest of it down into fabricatable parts.

[Image: normal_pitdroidhead_01.PNG]
I need to reprint the little one...
First image of the fabricatable parts:
The radar eye

[Image: normal_lens.PNG]
Cool! I'd had it all munged together for the little one, so hadn't really realized it's big notch thing.
(06-10-2018, 01:39 PM)kresty Wrote: Cool!  I'd had it all munged together for the little one, so hadn't really realized it's big notch thing.

smidge more progress to show:

[Image: normal_dome.PNG]

Of course this just defines the way the parts fit together once they're all fabricated. This doesn't represent how they'll have to be cut to fit on a 3D print bed. That'll be another step once all the constructable parts have been designed
Is the flat disc the main bottom? So under it is only details?

What diameter are those parts? The DRK-1 shows that we seem to have at least 3 decent 3D printer bed sizes people are interested in: Replicator - sized (small), XYZ (medium) and larger sized.

I'm not quite sure how to reconcile that. Clearly people like you & I that have replicators need smaller parts, but some folks have printed *HUGE* stuff on printers. I'm not sure how to make it so people don't have to do a ton of work slicing and still have options to optimize for their print volume.
The radar eye housing is just under 11 cm accross.
The dome is 33 cm in diameter

(is that what you were looking for?)
(06-10-2018, 09:12 PM)savagecreature Wrote: The radar eye housing is just under 11 cm accross.
The dome is 33 cm in diameter

(is that what you were looking for?)

Yea.  33cm would be a big bed Smile