Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pit Droid Ponderings
I'm afraid I have them on Blu-Ray, I'll have to double check.
One of the most important aspects of building a droid is proportion.  You can get the size wrong, but as long as the proportions are correct the droid will still look 'right'.  In my searchings I ask anyone I think might know of a good resource and one such individual said, "I think there are some orthos in the Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels. "  I sent out some e-mails to friends who might have the book, and long story a little shorter one of them sent me this image.

[Image: normal_chronicles.jpg]

These are awesome images and I'm thrilled someone was willing to share them.

I have also collected a few more images I believe to be from publications, but some of them I'm not sure which book or books they're from (if anyone knows, please speak up!).  These show a number of good details that I haven't been able to see as clearly in other images.

This one is from The Phantom Menace Expanded Visual Dictionary.

[Image: normal_PitDroids_EVD.jpg]

you can see that what looks like simple silver rings in the hip joints in most images are actually ball joints, allowing for greater movement and some of the details on the arms are more clearly visible, among other things.

I'm not sure what this one is from. I found it on Wookieepedia. Like the image above, there are details of construction that can be seen clearly in this image that are obscured elsewhere.

[Image: normal_Pitdroidstack_wsmi.jpg]

and lastly, another pair of them that I haven't been able to find the publication for, but as there is text included in the images, they're obviously from something.  Google brought me to these.

[Image: normal_Image4.jpg]    [Image: normal_Image5.jpg]
(08-06-2015, 06:27 PM)savagecreature Wrote: I sent out some e-mails to friends who might have the book, and long story a little shorter one of them sent me this image.

Didn't they also send you a link to this cool resource about pit droids on the web?  http://www.rebeldroids.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=33

Good job ;-)
Who owns this life size Pit Droid..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjMH4Aj-bk0

Are they a member on the forum?
(10-20-2015, 05:34 PM)Murasaki Wrote: Who owns this life size Pit Droid..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjMH4Aj-bk0

Are they a member on the forum?

They're not a member of this forum, as far as I know, (though now that you bring it up I suppose that they could be).  There was a Pit Droid kit a few years back, and this looks to be one of them.  Later this year or early next (which is sooner than I want to admit) I'll get the plans for my Pit Droid finished so we can all start buildin' 'em. Smile

In the mean time we'll just have to settle for Kresty's tiny ones.
(10-20-2015, 08:15 PM)savagecreature Wrote:
(10-20-2015, 05:34 PM)Murasaki Wrote: In the mean time we'll just have to settle for Kresty's tiny ones.

Your tiny ones.  If you were happy enough with the model I'd consider articulating one and printing it, maybe even bigger.  (I know, you're busy, forget I said anything).
i have one of these in the above video. quality is very good. its fiberglass. i do not know the maker. but i understand going price is around 800.00. i aquired this droid in a game of chance on tatooine. watch out hes always getting into things!
Does your model collapse like that? (Is there room in the legs for them to fold?) Do the knees have to be angled to shove the top/bottom apart?

(11-27-2014, 10:24 AM)savagecreature Wrote: I was tinkering with the pit droid again this morning and thought I'd post another image. Last time I posted the Clone Wars version of the collapse sequence, today it's the motion picture version.

[Image: normal_pitDroid_03a.jpg]
No, they can't really collapse like that. It was a CG cheat. The limbs interpenetrate as they transition and there are other problems with it, too.
I am trying to build a life size pit droid I would like the file Ill post progress on here and any recommendations to the file during build savage