Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dyne's Treadwell
Any updates??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R5-D4 UK Builder club member.

My R5D4 Astromech Droid
(05-31-2022, 02:50 AM)Jaffa007 Wrote: Any updates??

Sadly no. I have a lot of projects on the go (both other droids and unrelated stuff like VR and game design) and I'm easily tempted to change gears and let something percolate in my subconscious if I get blocked or something changes, especially for the longer term builds or those that are still mostly in the design phase.

"This one, a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future ... to the horizon. Never his mind on where. he. was. Hm? What he was doing. Hm."

In Treadwell's case, Halloween came along (always a major distraction for me). Then I got my printer back in a usable situation, which was not only necessary for this build but also meant I suddenly had the chance to make some major progress on my R2 dome prints before it got too cold (which got me to a recognizable dome-in-progress, rather than a handful of parts) After that I ended up working on my LD-F1 design elsewhere on this forum and various non droid projects.

As it stands I have about three months left to get something ready before Dragon Con, so I've been trying to decide where to focus my energy. There are advantages to focusing on Treadwell, but I'd also have to sort some things out (never having done styrene construction and not having any handy being a major one).

One plus is that I do have my Neo motors and spark max controllers as well as my radio in hand, so that's much of the big drive component purchases sorted.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk
I went with Neos for the drive system on my R4 as well. We use them on the competition robots to good effect and I started to wonder why I wasn't using them on my stuff. I definitely like not having to put in an additional encoder in the system.
I still have a *bunch* of older brushed motors, though. I'd rather use them than recycle them. So I'm going to have to find droids to put them in.
What's a Neo motor?
(05-31-2022, 02:00 PM)kresty Wrote: What's a Neo motor?
They are brushless motors sold by Rev Robotics. Frequently used in competitive robots. Maxstang also uses them in the Maxdrive for R2.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk