Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupid flat pack question
So in the flat pack there are the lower part of the head and upper part of the head. Each one is a square pyramidal frustum. In the photos there's a black recessed gap between the tops. I assume that the hollow square of the top and bottom is supposed to be the base of the respective frustum and not the recessed black part? Is there a part for that ring?

[Image: normal_Sentry_Droid_Reference_28429.JPG]
See my Lego Mouse at http://MCK-Y.com :MSE:
Does this help?

[Image: sploded_01.JPG]
thanks - got it!
See my Lego Mouse at http://MCK-Y.com :MSE:
Thanks savage.... head is getting close, it'll be nice to see something more than a pile of bricks!
Hey, Savage.

Would there be a chance of getting hold of your SW model of the body?
I'd like to rework the flatpack files to include the chamfers for the parts, and a subframe to keep it all from flexing, rather than just try to re-invent the wheel.

Cheers, mate.
I'd like to get the flat pack files to the point where it shows the chamfers on every edge of the pieces to make a flat fit on the glued edges. This adds strength and reduces the need to reinforcing in the corners and filling edges, making them sharper.

I also want to design a light laser cut frame that sits inside and prevents any flexing.

Ignore the sheet formatting - the idea would be to have a number of large sheets with all the part drawings nested.
The solid lines inside the outline are the lines the bottom edge is chamfered to on the top face, while the dotted lines show where the bottom edge is to be chamfered to.
(06-26-2017, 04:38 PM)Ramjet Wrote: I'd like to get the flat pack files to the point where it shows the chamfers on every edge of the pieces to make a flat fit on the glued edges.  This adds strength and reduces the need to reinforcing in the corners and filling edges, making them sharper.  

I also want to design a light laser cut frame that sits inside and prevents any flexing.

Ignore the sheet formatting - the idea would be to have a number of large sheets with all the part drawings nested.
The solid lines inside the outline are the lines the bottom edge is chamfered to on the top face, while the dotted lines show where the bottom edge is to be chamfered to.

Nice work.

I didn't bother with the chamfering on mine because pretty much no one I know will have the ability to do them accurately. The intent in my plans was to simply sand the edge to the desired shape once it had been assembled. CnC router won't chamfer, laser cutter won't chamfer, and trying to cut a chamfer by hand is a nightmare that most of us would like to avoid.

The plans were always intended to be only the shell, as we hadn't hammered out a drive system or even the legos at the bottom quite yet when I started posting them. For that matter, kresty still has doubts that my dimensions are totally accurate.   I had at the time and still do intend to make a frame to hold it all together. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

I look forward to seeing yours Smile  Checking out other people's designs is one of the things I love the most about building droids.
We just score a line and file along the edge to get a chamfer that's close enough on the R2 feet.

The solvent melts the faces enough to create a solid weld along the joint with minimal cleanup.
Well, crap, nobody told us we'd have to chamfer the Lego!