Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lara's Lego H-015 Sentry Droid
Great work !

It is looking very good :-)
Some test drive video....  (These are just driving around, not trying to be pretty, just learning how he moves and whether or not the wheels are going to fall off again)

(a separate post to defeat the 1-video-per-post rule)

And with more appropriate background music...

Whoooo!!! Robots!! er . . . I mean Droids!!!
(02-21-2018, 07:32 AM)savagecreature Wrote: Whoooo!!! Robots!! er . . . I mean Droids!!!

Smile Thanks, Lara's starting to wonder where we're going to put all of them.  
After what seems like forever I'm getting around to trying to make something a bit more permanent for the wheels so they don't fall off.  (Two failed at ECCC).  Omni's don't drive well with missing wheels.

[Image: normal_Motor_and_Wheel_Exploded_View.png]
Exploded view - Laras new H015 Omniwheel mount.
Each side has a 10x26x8 bearing, some spacers.  Square shaft in the middle.  Coupler in the motor fitting side.  Have to attach motor to housing first or it'll be a pain to attach the screws.

We'll reuse the holes that held the motor on the motor side. Have to drill new holes on the other side because there're way too many screws holding the plywood to the Lego, don't want to undo all that just to hook up the laser.

A local FIRST club is having an end-of-season banquet and asked for droids, so hopefully we'll have it fixed by Saturday.
Well, some of it's been printed. The other side is on the printer now... The bearings fit pretty well, though one surprised me by cracking the housing on one side - still plenty tough, but I think I'll reprint it.

Not sure if the layers aren't sticking quite right or what. There was a little bump I missed sanding off and apparently that was enough that pressing in the bearing was just a little too much. (I can't pull off the cracked top, so it can't be that bad).

The first one I didn't get quite all the supports out and the bearing was visibly angled a little. My screw holes allow for some movement, but hopefully it won't be too much.

Eagerly awaiting the rest of the parts being finished tomorrow... Which is when my couplers should also arrive. We'd like to show off the droid Saturday evening if we can...
Two steps forward (ok, more like 4 or 5), one step back...  Friends came over to help us repair the mouse droids, so we got the motor mounts cleaned up and assembled last night.  Thanks Hans!

The motor assembly fit together pretty much perfectly on the first go:

However, I'd remembered the idle side as "having plenty of room", so I didn't really measure the size of the large triangle between the Lego and the wheel hole.  Turns out that the corners of the mount hit the Lego.

I could trim them off I suppose, but I've modified it to fit the corner better.  I also pushed the middle further into the corner, allowing a spot for another screw if I want it. 

The silly part is that this board is in the 3D model and those holes are where I screwed into the 2 wide Lego bricks, so I *know* that it needs to be 16mm from the edge (2 lego studs).  If I'd even looked at the model I was making, the error would've been pretty obvious.
I can't count the number of times I've done similar things. The most recent time; I forgot to leave enough room for the wires coming off the headers on the electronics. I carefully left room for everything else, cut slots in for the headers, everything, but the plastic ends on wires don't fit 'cause they're too tall. Felt like an idiot.
I did something similar with the wires inside. I made little "keys" for the motor controllers so they'd get daisy chained and not confused about their directions, etc... but the original shells I made to fit around the head for the plug didn't allow room for the nearby capacitors and other stuff on the circuit board Smile