Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kresty working on Fusion Power Generator
Well, here's the bit I could've done last spring before I fixed the too-large parts: Assemble the top.

However, I didn't really know what was wrong with the parts (at first), so I didn't want to assemble something that didn't work.  Turns out that the top plate was close enough, so I could've done it then.

I put all of the middle vanes in before assembling the segments.  Not sure if that was needed.

[Image: normal_Vane_Test_Fit.jpg]
Kresty's Fusion Reactor
Laser Cut vane test fit

Basically I just pressed all of the segments into the top plate and made sure they fit.  The ring held the bottoms together.  My solvent was runny MEK (the parts are ABS), so I figured it'd just ooze into the cracks.  That worked pretty well.  I did one seam at a time because it seemed like it wanted to wiggle stuff around.

Everything fit pretty tight.  A bit of tape around the top held that in place.  Sometimes I put a weight on it to help it stay even.  Toward the end it seemed a little grumpier and I carefully used some clamps.

At the end it looks like it's supposed to.  After getting a couple of the seams done, then I also added the vanes to the dried seams.  I mostly used the styrene laser cut vanes, however I'd printed a couple 3D vanes (pink), so I went ahead and used that just for the fun of it.  I'm curious if you'll be able to tell after painting.  (probably not easily).

[Image: normal_Fusion_Reactor_Top.jpg]
Kresty's Fusion Reactor
Kresty's Fusion Reactor Top

The top knob thing is just sitting there right now. I'm not sure if I want to glue it. Since gravity keeps it there, maybe I'll leave it loose for access? Like if I put a light for batteries in it or something?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kresty working on Fusion Power Generator - by kresty - 11-20-2017, 12:50 AM