Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kresty working on Fusion Power Generator
Savage is a modeler, I'm more of a mathematician. So it bugged me that his panels were all different since, theoretically, the entire thing was symmetrical.

So, I started with one of his segments and then rotated it 11x, then cleaned up the edges so they'd fit "perfectly." Then I took off a bit for real life. I doubled up the single panels so there're 5 doubles and a single. I also added the tabs and inner foot as discussed in the last post. I know Savage was happy about his, but mine worked.

Here's the test fit. Note that I did pretty much zero cleanup here. It was a bit tight, but I figured the MEK would melt the ABS and fix that for me. The panels pretty much fit perfectly. There's a slight variation from the prints (cooling differences, different temps, different printers, whatever), but nothing worse than a normal print.

They're all different colors because when I send them to the print lab I pretty much get random colors.

I was particularly impressed with the fit in the bottom ring. I mean, I did the measurements for the foot bit, but I didn't really expect it to work perfectly on the first try - yet it pretty much did exactly what it was supposed to!

Note that, as mentioned in the previous post, my ring is a hair too large due to the original PDF export error. The plans have been fixed. The new inner diameter is 169mm, the too big one was 170mm. So I probably should adjust the parts I uploaded to fit the corrected laser cutting plans. Also it fit pretty tight with mine, a CnC with less kerf may be even tighter. I'd expected maybe to need to sand the inside of the ring a little, but it worked for me.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kresty working on Fusion Power Generator - by kresty - 11-19-2017, 01:20 PM