Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kresty working on Fusion Power Generator
Ok, I have too many things to post, but here goes.

First, I decided the Laser Cut the vanes instead of 3D Printing them.  Savage specified them @ 3mm, so that seemed like it should work.  I guess he didn't think they would CnC well?  Anyway, I also sent a couple to the lab printer just for grins.

Interestingly they both have their pros/cons.  The 3mm width was a bit tight for both, but my MEK squished them in.  

The laser cuts more of the edge, so it's a little thinner at the neck, but it's pretty hard to tell.  Interestingly, the laser has kerf so the cut is wider at the top, which makes it want to slant a little (not really an issue).  However the 3D print had a little "elephant foot" effect, so basically the same thing.

The edge of the 3D printed one was rougher, more noticeable on one than the other.

I cleaned up the corner edges of the laser cut one by running a knife along the edges.  That was way easier and faster on the laser cut ones than the 3D printed one.

The laser cut fins also each cut in under a minute.  

If I built another, I'd go with the laser cut, but either way works.  3D printed might be cleaner than some CnC's though, probably depends on the machine.

Here they are side by side:

[Image: normal_3D_Printed_vs_Laser_Cut_Vanes_28129.jpg]
Kresty's Fusion Reactor
3D Printed vs Laser Cut top vanes

[Image: normal_3D_Printed_vs_Laser_Cut_Vanes_28229.jpg]
Kresty's Fusion Reactor
3D Printed vs Laser Cut top vanes

And a test fit of the laser cut one on a 3D printed segment:

[Image: normal_Vane_Test_Fit.jpg]
Kresty's Fusion Reactor
Laser Cut vane test fit

Messages In This Thread