Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kresty working on Fusion Power Generator
Because I was getting lots of that nasty black stuff on the back (from the print bed and styrene I guess), I tried putting paper down on the last sheet. That was both a good idea and a bad idea.

The charring is much reduced, however the plastic melted to the paper around the edges, so they had to be peeled off (kinda like a pad of paper). A few places though it was really tight, especially on the skinnier parts. Cleanup probably took longer, but they are cleaner than the others.

[Image: normal_Fusion_Generator_Construction_28429.jpg]

Close view showing how the paper took most of the smoke (lower vane), and after the paper is removed it's pretty clean (upper vane). Just a little brown around the edge instead of black everywhere.

[Image: normal_Fusion_Generator_Construction_28329.jpg]
Updated the Laser Cut plans to include the 1/8" parts, as well as outlines for the translucent panels.

So cool!!
It's work's test filament, so maybe it doesn't impact me so much, but the top panels are being really trick to print on their edge. I'm not sure what it is, but it's shifting sideways and the layers are getting offset. Almost like the stepper slipped a little, but its only on one edge of the part, the other edge is OK. The admin in the lab thinks it's because it's thin and wobbles or cools funny or something.... I don't remember that when printing at home.

Printing flat uses crazy supports and I don't like the lines.

If the filament's free, you can't complain about colors, right? Pink's a good color for the Fusion Generator, don't you think?
(03-24-2017, 11:08 PM)kresty Wrote: It's work's test filament, so maybe it doesn't impact me so much, but the top panels are being really trick to print on their edge.  I'm not sure what it is, but it's shifting sideways and the layers are getting offset.  Almost like the stepper slipped a little, but its only on one edge of the part, the other edge is OK.  The admin in the lab thinks it's because it's thin and wobbles or cools funny or something....  I don't remember that when printing at home.

Printing flat uses crazy supports and I don't like the lines.

If the filament's free, you can't complain about colors, right?  Pink's a good color for the Fusion Generator, don't you think?

Interesting. I didn't have that difficulty when I printed mine. Lemme know if you can't resolve it. We can, I dunno, alter the files maybe? Anyway, we'll figure out a way to fix it.
I'm playing with the file a little.  I think they don't have their printer's quite "perfect" - a little hot for sure (stringy on other detailed parts).  But, I don't have to babysit the printer, so it's a trade-off.

The top 3D part sits flat on the other stuff, right?  The outer bit would touch flat, but there's air under the middle?  I'm thinking of putting a ring around the inside to help with this and assembly.

I stuck the 1/11th panel in sketchup and rotated it 11x and it fits perfectly.  I added a support along the bottom 0.3mm from the part, so maybe that'll unconfuse their printer?

My question:  There is "room" under that part, right?  (once you get "up" in the model away from the outer rim).
Some of the 3D prints:

This was weird, it looks like the stepper slipped, however it's not along the whole edge (the other side is fine.) The guy in the lab thought that it was because the part was so thin, maybe the ABS cooled funny? I did NOT have a problem with my test print @ home when Savage was developing the plans a long time ago.

[Image: normal_Fusion_Reactor_3D_Parts_28129.jpg]

[Image: normal_Fusion_Reactor_3D_Parts_28429.jpg]

I don't get to pick the colors when I send them to the lab. These came out well.

[Image: normal_Fusion_Reactor_3D_Parts_28229.jpg]

And, the purpose of sending stuff to the lab is software testing. The software didn't want it to be on the edge (though eventually I figured out how to rotate it by the proper amount to get it close enough to do). Since it wanted to do flat, I tried one flat. I don't like the "steps" though, sideways was much better.

[Image: normal_Fusion_Reactor_3D_Parts_28329.jpg]

Savage was worried that the 6 (5 double, one single) top sections may not be symmetrical. They aren't, however they're close enough that it isn't really going to matter. (Which is good because when I send them to the lab and see them days later, I can't tell which is which).
I stuck some modified top files in the 3D files section.

[Image: thumb_Modified_3D_Printed_Files_28Kresty_s29.png]

I did a few things:
  • Stretched the "flat" part at the bottom a little
  • added a lip to go inside the center of the styrene circle.
  • added a lip for the center cap.
  • added a lip to go under the next section.
[Image: normal_Modified_3D_Printed_Files_28Kresty_s29.png]

I haven't actually tested these parts yet, I should have them printed in a week or two.
I gave up on the FPG - i really like it and appreciate the work you 2 put into it, but without laser cutter and 3D-printer it´s nothing that makes sense to tackle to me.

But nonetheless i will follow the builds with big interest.
(03-26-2017, 02:15 AM)Lichtbringer Wrote: I gave up on the FPG - i really like it and appreciate the work you 2 put into it, but without laser cutter and 3D-printer it´s nothing that makes sense to tackle to me.

But nonetheless i will follow the builds with big interest.

The styrene can be hand-cut - people make Artoos out of it.  I could probably do a (very) limited run of some parts.

I was really curious about the other bits though, it seems like lots of it could be made from found parts.  The top is an 11 fin fan blade, like from an electric motor, we haven't found an exact match, but many are similar.  The hose fittings some look a little like spark plugs to me, and the flatter caps I have some parts that are similar for fishtank hoses.  Some are simple enough to be hand-built.

I was wondering about collecting info for a "found parts/handcut styrene" build...