Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gt500e351w's Fusion Generator - Kresty Style / 3D Printed
Tongue 
I should have posted an introduction in the new members area but I recognize a lot of you from Astromech.net.  I have been at a point in my R2-GT build (Full Aluminum) where every new part is getting expensive and I have a lot of downtime between parts purchases. So I started up a Braided Foot Hose Parts Run to keep me building and its also in downtime right now waiting on material to arrive. Well my 3D printer has been sitting quiet for far too long and then I come across a Facebook post.

1st off... Devinrayolsen is a bad influence Big Grin. I saw a post on the R2 builders Facebook page of a 3D printed Fusion Generator. So I went down the rabbit hole. In less than a day, my printer was already running. So on day 5 of joining RebelDroids.net I am making my first post and it is a build log. I like to document parts and pieces and take pictures like crazy, so hopefully my log will help me understand what I am doing, document my errors, and maybe in that process help other builders.

So the next order of business is to thank SavageCreature, Kresty and Devinrayolsen for their work on this. Any one else I missed, THANK YOU TOO! 

Lets start this build off with the reference photo!

[Image: partsBreakDown.jpg]

.... and a box of parts.

[Image: 5Rhc1dY.jpg]

Printing started off with the bottom pieces - A (4), the Vertical Supports - B (8), the first set of vertical rings - C (4), and the first set of horizontal rings - D (4).

[Image: FnLZPwy.jpg]

I attached all 4 bottom pieces (A) together and then added the Vertical supports (B).  The vertical supports fit loosely in the slots of the base so I haven't glued them in place yet, they are just along for the ride right now. I then added and glued the first round of Vertical rings © but staggered them slightly so they do not align with the seam for the bottom pieces (A). Finally I added one Horizontal ring (D). Everything is being held using Harbor Freight Micro Spring Clamps.

That is where I am at currently. I have ordered some electronic hardware that I would like to include in this build and I cannot proceed any further until I mock up those parts.  Right now I am planning on the orange light (of course) but I would like an option to include functional power supply or charger for my R2. I am still pondering this and have a ? on that part of the simple wiring diagram. If it doesn't work out, a prop cable to R2 will be fine with me. The generator will also have a removeable AC power cord, illuminated rocker switch for power, and a hidden fuse holder greeble.

Its going to be a hard for me to not have the ;jawa; icon on a forum so...      [Image: 6450.gif]
[Image: MaoChSC.jpg]      Drew Barbour -  GT500e351w@gmail.com
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the build.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk
Interesting Smile I'd assumed the "flat pack" was straightforward enough nobody'd want to print it. (Maybe that's 'cause we have a laser at The Garage at work.)

I'll be following your build, thanks for sharing!
I totally *love* that people are building these now! Thanks for sharing the build, and I really look forward to watching it develop.
Thank all 3 of you... Yeah no laser in my garage yet! I am mostly a metal fab guy, but its on my list of tools to add. 

I am making quick progress on the base, but I did remove one of the Vertical rings ( C ) and here is why. I wanted to provide AC power and a rocker switch, but the walls of the base are just a little too thin.  So I came up with this.

[Image: N9daXIv.jpg]

I designed it to house a IEC power receptacle and a lighted rocker switch, which will both be hidden on the "backside".  The IEC receptacle was about 2mm too tall so I had to make a notch in one of the 
horizontal rings - (D). This ring is hidden so no bid deal. The rocker switch has tabs to hold it in the socket tight, and the IEC will be held in by M3 Flat-head screws. It may also need some filler around the top of it to hide the lighting later. The receptacle itself just needed a visit from an 82 degree countersink for the screws and its done!

[Image: gHEW73w.jpg]

[Image: I8HjFnU.jpg]

[Image: LQnXkwe.jpg]

I attached the squares (E1) to one end of each angled vertical piece (E), overhanging half of it. This way I had an easy way of clamping the seams, and covering them as well! I glued one in place and then worked my way around until they were done.  I then worked the next horizontal rings (F) in place and glued them to (E). G, H, H1 are all printed, and I am printing the last top section as we speak. 

[Image: iq1uHdZ.jpg]
[Image: MaoChSC.jpg]      Drew Barbour -  GT500e351w@gmail.com
Cool, I forgot where I put my power cord. I think if I have a switch, it's on the cord.