Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Fusion Generator / Reactor?
#41
That looks cool will have to find time to print it if I can.
Reply
#42
I'm having difficulty with the fit of the parts.  I knew I'd have kerf from the laser, but I measured my as-cut part against the PDF and my "louver ring" (J) lost only .17mm on each side, which is about what I'd expect.  Nowhere near enough to be interesting.  

However when I try to put the grill (I) on the tabs, the slots on the grill are way too close.  If I force them, then the other end bends.

Savage said he cut his from the DXF files and then exported the PDFs, so my wild guess would be that the PDF's were scaled a little when exporting.  (That's a common issue we have with the laser cutters).  My measurements match the PDF's, so I don't think the scaling happened on my end.

The parts that "don't fit" are all on different sheets.  Eg: the brackets (B) are a little small for the base (A).  Brackets are on sheet 02, base is on sheet 01.  And the grill (I) is too small for the rings.  The rings are on sheet 02, the grill is sheet 00.

Not blaming Savage, these things are tough, but I think we need more beta testing!


(I'll post some dimensions in a minute, and Savage can compare against the original)
Reply
#43
I'll have a look at it this weekend and see what I can figure out. I didn't have these fitting problems on the one I built, so you're probably right, it's some sort of a file conversion problem
Reply
#44
Well, I made a picture of what the old bad scale (red lines) and correct scale (black lines) parts looked like: [Image: normal_Bad_Sizes.png]
As you can see, the first 2 sheets aren't too bad, which would make it pretty hard to notice the error.  The last sheet is quite a bit too large though.

I have no clue how they ended up with these particular scales. My original theory is that they were scaled to fit the available output, but none of the dimensions match the expected paper size, and the last one is bigger than the nominal paper, so that pretty much kills that theory.
Reply
#45
Any progress on the files or measurements or PDF scale?
Reply
#46
I've posted updated PDFs from Savage's original source.

[Image: thumb_fusion_generator_flat_files.jpg]

These supersede the originally uploaded PDFs and have 100mm and 4" calibration scales on them so that people can ensure they're getting the right scale in their output.

These are Savage's files merely re-exported at 1:1 scale.  He intended them for CnC machines and the PDFs are 24x34" sheets.  I haven't updated my laser-cut versions yet.

They also have a small label, so you can tell if it's the corrected file by looking for the scale and label.
Reply
#47
Thanks kresty!!
Reply
#48
Wow, you've managed to confuse me so much Smile  

In the exploded view it looks like there are 10 rings J, but the top one is mislabeled K (they all look the same).  However the top one is really supposed to be on the inside and have the notch on top - but that makes 11 rings. And on your sheet 3 PDF I count 20 half rings J... but the top is really K? So there're only 9 J rings?

My K ring also doesn't seem to fit right, so I'm going to have to figure out what's going on with that, but that's a separate issue. (Update, I think it's just the bottom parts a hair too big because of the previous error. Looks like I'll be able to work it in OK.

[Image: partsBreakDown.jpg]
Reply
#49
Well, I hate to do this to Savage, but...

So I saw Savage's log about gluing the rings together. My glue was terrible so my effort didn't work for that Sad. However I thought the fit of the grill slats was so tight, perhaps I should just alternate them.

First I was still worried about the curvature of the inner bit. I pressed it over the edge of a table. Annoying and my fingers got sore after a bit, but I managed to get the parts reasonably curved.

Then I snapped in the grill slats, going over by one on each row. Savage described the process as repetitive and boring. I probably spent 15-20 minutes on it. Granted I haven't glued it in place yet, but my MEK is really liquid, so that'll be straightforward. You can see the staggered seams in the photo because of my failed attempt to glue them with black ABS glue.


As you can see by the spare ring, I did get slightly stumped by the plans. Savage had laid out 20 half-rings "J" and the top ring "K" halves on the CnC PDF. So I dutifully copied parts for 10 J rings and 1 K ring. And even labeled it thusly on the parts diagram... but in real life there are only 10 slots, and the top is for the K ring Smile Oh, well.
Reply
#50
After that of course I had to do a test assembly.  The top window strip L needed curvature, so I did that the same way as the grill thing below.  

[Image: normal_Test_Fit_Fusion_Generator_Assembly_28129.jpg]

[Image: normal_Test_Fit_Fusion_Generator_Assembly_28229.jpg]
Fusion Generator Initial Test Assembly
Not glued completely, but showing where the main sections go!

Ignore my terrible putty attempt, that clearly didn't work. I've bought a tube of Savage's recommended Bondo 907, so I'll use that.

Still need to glue the middle slats together, bondo stuff, then sand. And of course prime and paint. The 3D Greeblies are "ready" but might need cleaned up a hair - and painted.

And I still need to figure out what to do about opening it. And electronics.

Also need to find some appropriate hose, I have wire for coils on order (from China, might be a few weeks).
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)