Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fusion Generator / Reactor?
That looks cool will have to find time to print it if I can.
I'm having difficulty with the fit of the parts.  I knew I'd have kerf from the laser, but I measured my as-cut part against the PDF and my "louver ring" (J) lost only .17mm on each side, which is about what I'd expect.  Nowhere near enough to be interesting.  

However when I try to put the grill (I) on the tabs, the slots on the grill are way too close.  If I force them, then the other end bends.

Savage said he cut his from the DXF files and then exported the PDFs, so my wild guess would be that the PDF's were scaled a little when exporting.  (That's a common issue we have with the laser cutters).  My measurements match the PDF's, so I don't think the scaling happened on my end.

The parts that "don't fit" are all on different sheets.  Eg: the brackets (B) are a little small for the base (A).  Brackets are on sheet 02, base is on sheet 01.  And the grill (I) is too small for the rings.  The rings are on sheet 02, the grill is sheet 00.

Not blaming Savage, these things are tough, but I think we need more beta testing!

(I'll post some dimensions in a minute, and Savage can compare against the original)
I'll have a look at it this weekend and see what I can figure out. I didn't have these fitting problems on the one I built, so you're probably right, it's some sort of a file conversion problem
Well, I made a picture of what the old bad scale (red lines) and correct scale (black lines) parts looked like: [Image: normal_Bad_Sizes.png]
As you can see, the first 2 sheets aren't too bad, which would make it pretty hard to notice the error.  The last sheet is quite a bit too large though.

I have no clue how they ended up with these particular scales. My original theory is that they were scaled to fit the available output, but none of the dimensions match the expected paper size, and the last one is bigger than the nominal paper, so that pretty much kills that theory.
Any progress on the files or measurements or PDF scale?
I've posted updated PDFs from Savage's original source.

[Image: thumb_fusion_generator_flat_files.jpg]

These supersede the originally uploaded PDFs and have 100mm and 4" calibration scales on them so that people can ensure they're getting the right scale in their output.

These are Savage's files merely re-exported at 1:1 scale.  He intended them for CnC machines and the PDFs are 24x34" sheets.  I haven't updated my laser-cut versions yet.

They also have a small label, so you can tell if it's the corrected file by looking for the scale and label.
Thanks kresty!!
Wow, you've managed to confuse me so much Smile  

In the exploded view it looks like there are 10 rings J, but the top one is mislabeled K (they all look the same).  However the top one is really supposed to be on the inside and have the notch on top - but that makes 11 rings. And on your sheet 3 PDF I count 20 half rings J... but the top is really K? So there're only 9 J rings?

My K ring also doesn't seem to fit right, so I'm going to have to figure out what's going on with that, but that's a separate issue. (Update, I think it's just the bottom parts a hair too big because of the previous error. Looks like I'll be able to work it in OK.

[Image: partsBreakDown.jpg]
Random thoughts on possible improvement to the plans.  (I might do some to the laser versions if I have a chance)
  • Make the top J ring deeper with slots for I (like a mashup of J & K) so that there's more to glue K to, and perhaps to ease assembly.
  • Put tabs on the top of L (window strip) as well, and slots in the bottom of M.  This would aid assembly for dolts like me.
  • Mount points for the T-shaped 3D fittings on M.  Particularly if the tabs L/slots M were done, then they'd align.
  • Put tabs on the bottom of I and slots on the top of H might aid assembly.
  • Tabs for the upper diffuser L and slots in the M and K rings.  Especially for the laser you then wouldn't need the etched bits.
  • Savage had the idea of making the T-shaped fittings aid in attaching the top 3D bits (I guess accepting a screw).  That seems cool, but I'm not sure how to make it happen as there are 8 T's and the top is divided into 11 sections, so there wouldn't be ways to conceal all of the bolt head on top?
  • Savage also wondered about mount points to help align the bottom greeblies on the G and E bands.  That would help if the bands could be aligned to the rest of the model.  I'm afraid that might make placing the bands more difficult.  Maybe a template to mark the positions on the bands after the bands had been fixed?
Hmm, getting closer raises some questions (of course!)

1) The top nipple for the coil "hose socket" - do you have better pix of it? Seems to me it should be closer to the coil diameter? (around 1/2" ?) or maybe the coil just pokes in the middle?
2) Not clear to me how the clear hoses are supposed to attach to the uppserhosemount T's and the mainhosemounts. The outer hose diameter looks similar to the T diameter.

And an observation: mainhosemount looks transparent, interesting.