Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fusion Generator / Reactor?
LOL! I said I didn't have time to put together instructions. You're making me put together instructions!!

I don't have a minute right now to answer this, but I'll come back and right a reply later tonight Big Grin
(01-24-2017, 05:38 PM)savagecreature Wrote: LOL! I said I didn't have time to put together instructions. You're making me put together instructions!!

I don't have a minute right now to answer this, but I'll come back and right a reply later tonight Big Grin

I was afraid that would happen, I didn't want to force that!  I'd say "it was just a few questions" - but, I confess it has a been a few questions.

I cut the 1/16" parts on the laser today.  Seems like it worked reasonably well, the styrene likes to burn, which has me nervous about the 1/8" that would need even more time.  And some parts didn't cut all the way even then (close enough though).  I haven't done styrene before, so that was something new.

I'm thinking that maybe this subforum is a funny place for building discussion.  Mind if I make an "accessories" subforum in the droids area?  Then this and whatever else we end up doing similarly could go there?
[EDIT: Updated Letters]

You're subforum crazy, I swear!  (every damn day!) Smile

I don't really think it's necessary. We can have the conversation here and whatever good information we assemble you or I can add to the wiki later so it'll be easy for folks to find.  Forums are where you have conversations, and conversations wander. They don't stay tidy for very long.

Okay, first thing about your letter labeled parts:  There are supposed to be slots in that base circle and tabs on the supports. Did you take these images from astromech.net instead of creating images from the .PDFs? (not that that's a problem, I just want to make sure there's not a bad set of plans out there somewhere.)

Using the labels you have given the parts above, this should help:

[Image: partsBreakDown.jpg]

The only remaining confusion I can imagine is the matter of H and H1. The wider circle, that is to say the thicker one, goes on the bottom, and the narrower one goes on top. This forms a shelf that the cylinder of the grill can rest on top of along with a ring that wraps around the outside of it to help hold it in place.

I hope that helps Smile
Diagram's great, thanks! I see what I was missing now, which is pretty much like I expected - missed the notch in the supports for "X". I'll relabel the parts so they go from bottom up (unless you have some other scheme you wanted to do and I'm getting in the way).

Yes, I grabbed the images from your post on Astromech.net, the PDF I'm working from is fine.

I think that from the above I understand everything. Though there are a couple parts that are neither 3D printed, nor on the flatpack sheets: The top skinny transparent lens, and the two cylinders inside the grill - I think the outer one of those is another transparent panel. I suppose the inner hides the guts if we put chargers or stuff in one?
(01-24-2017, 10:50 PM)savagecreature Wrote: You're subforum crazy, I swear!  (every damn day!) Smile

Ironically you should see my workspace, apparently I only expect certain classes of things to be orderly!

I certainly hope I never suggest a subforum for each post!
Ok, my lettering was terrible.  I missed parts.  I missed letters.  I reused letters.  It didn't go bottom to top.  I'd like to propose new letters:  (Of course these could instead be labeled however Savage wants to, and I didn't include the transparent panels.  Savage named the 3D Parts, so those are also not here)

[Image: normal_Flat_Pack_Parts_0.png]

[Image: normal_Flat_Pack_Parts_1.png]

[Image: normal_Flat_Pack_Parts_2.png]

At least my original purpose was served, I know what they all do!
(01-24-2017, 11:59 PM)kresty Wrote: I think that from the above I understand everything.  Though there are a couple parts that are neither 3D printed, nor on the flatpack sheets:  The top skinny transparent lens, and the two cylinders inside the grill - I think the outer one of those is another transparent panel.  I suppose the inner hides the guts if we put chargers or stuff in one?

Your assumption is correct. That is exactly what they are.

Your naming convention is just fine. I did actually name all the the parts when they were still 3D, but the letters are easier when dealing with the plans.  However, since you changed the letters someone is going to have to re-label the exploded diagram or this will all be very confusing. Smile [Edit: they've been relabeled]
For parts "B", the bottom frame bits, is the "front" edge supposed to be "vertical", eg: 90 degrees to the bottom edge? It's about 1/2 a degree shy. Doesn't really matter at all... except that if I laser cut them it's better to run down the edge once, so if I put it on another "straight" edge, I should remove one edge. (Otherwise it gets too melty).

Nevermind, I'm just gonna make in 90 on my laser cut plans, it's well within the margin of error here!
Oh, also, do you have the dimensions of the transparent/translucent parts? If not I can figure it out, no big deal.

(Nevermind, you said "for the record, that clear strip is 1 1/8 tall by 24 7/8 in" above)
So, the beta "laser cut parts" plans are updated.  I included the 1/8" parts, as well as outlines for the translucent panels.

Note that I still haven't assembled them, so I'm not sure how well they work (I think they should be "good enough"). Mostly I'm concerned about my kerf being different than Savage's original plans.

Should you choose to print them, I'd seriously consider something else besides etching the notches on the notched parts. Particularly at the orientation I used they took forever just to etch that notch on each of those 3 sheets.

Alternate methods would be to leave out the notch and add another inner ring to provide a place to affix the vertical parts.