Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Build Logs Subforum?
It 'bugs me' that 1/2 the build logs are mice, so it's a tad hard to see the variety of other droids we have represented.  So I was toying with the idea of subforums for "popular" droids (eg: mice right now, maybe H-015 sentries).  The rest of the logs would just be in the root there.

Any opinions?  Just me being OCD?  (If you think I'm OCD, you haven't seen my desk).
Yes. You being OCD.
Wink
Smile
Hmm, now we've had two build logs posted places Savage didn't expect them to go Smile  (I've moved one a while back).

I'm wondering if it might make sense to have build logs under their droid specific forum?  Eg, something like this mockup:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=123]

Alternatively/additionally, maybe there could be a link so that if one just wanted to see all build logs they could have links to the right spot? (I'm not sure if that's do-able).

Not trying to mess up Savage's vision, but there seems to be a little confusion about where build logs are expected to go Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

People are always gonna put things in the wrong thread. There's only build threads for one type of droid over at Astromech and people still occasionally put build threads in the wrong place. The trick is to relax and not let it bother you Big Grin

It's a difficult solution to find. Because we have so many types of droids we can either have a bunch of different forums with few entries or we can have a bunch of different entries in fewer forums. I think I would like to leave it the way it is for now. I think we already have too many subforums. The RPF does just fine having build threads for tons of different subjects all together in the same place.

(By the way, which was the second build thread in the wrong place? Did you move it already and I missed it?)
Tongue 
Giles's new thread in the Sentry Droid forum [edit: moved it].  I don't mind moving the occasional thread, however to me it is an indication that it might be hard for people to find stuff.   FA-1

I'm not proposing either of these ideas from some sort of crazy compulsion to be orderly (Lara hired a housecleaner a couple days ago who dumped all the stuff on my desk - which was completely unusable to a depth of 2-3" - in a box.  That was a few days ago and it's already a wreck!) P100

I'm suggesting these ideas because I think it seems difficult to find things.  If I want to build a Sentry droid, part of the research I would want to do would be to look at other build logs.  I can't even tell you how many there are because I'd have to go to build logs and skip a bunch of mice  MSE

It's also kinda hard for me to see if there is "new H015 content". We get to look two places Smile

I can drop the topic for now, but I expect that in a year or so when we have more peeps and more droids and more build logs eventually I'll think it's hard to find stuff and ask again 21B
As the interest here is spread over many different droids, other than in the R2 group, there is less material on each single type posted.

Considering this i would suggest to keep it simple - the general area for stuff like "off topic" and such, and a droid related area with one subforum per droid where all infos, builds and everything to this droid can be posted.
Ok, I'm trying something to see if it's helpful.  Testing with the GNK and H015.

What I did was make a subforum for the droids for "build log links", and that subforum has links to the "build logs" section.

So that might satisfy Savage's preference for all the build logs in one place, but additionally makes it easier to find GNK or H015 build logs specifically.

(I didn't start with mice because there're so many I wanted to see if this idea panned out or not).

One catch is that the redirected links don't rearrange to show the newest activity - once they're linked, they keep that order. Doesn't really matter if you subscribe to the build logs forum &/or the threads you want to watch.