Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waist width? Button?
Not sure how to describe this area - definitely in the middle of the body below the head, so I'll call it the waist.  The upper body and lower body fit at really strange angles, but it looks like the connection isn't that difficult. 

There's a "shelf" near the top of the lower body with room for the button, and then there's a vertical wall on the hidden part of the shelf that goes up to the upper body. (I think it's vertical, you can see a bit of it in the bottom right).  I don't think this bit is beveled in the corner, so we just have a square wall with a flat flange around the bottom.

Anyhoo, I'm curious about the gap.  It is obviously wide enough for the switch, but I don't know what kind of switch it is (well it's a latching pushbutton that I presume turns on the droid or something 'cause we never see it in the up position in other photos when the droid is running).  My wild guess is that is a 10mm or 3/8" type button, which would be a little bigger for the housing.  Maybe 1/2" or so space in the gap?

(Click photo for bigger view or title to go to gallery view)

[Image: normal_Sentry_Droid_Off_Switch.jpg]
Sentry Droid power switch in off position
I think this is the power switch.  Rear of droid. Can't see it in other pix so I think it's recessed when on (like white stripe goes away) and vanishes into the black line.
I'm also curious about the button.  I like the white detail, but I suspect it is just part of the mechanism and not worth painting.  My wild guess is that when the button is pressed, it latches so the white bits are hidden and the black top isn't above the lip.

I can't see the button in any of the other edge-on photos when the droid was turned on and running on the stage, so I presume that I'm either delusional or that this button is a power switch and is concealed when the droid is on.  Or maybe it isn't power but is for some other state that is common when the droid is powered on.

Of course I could be completely wrong.

I *think* the button is on the rear of the droid.  Left/Right sides have the cutouts, but I can't see the neck so I'm not 100% sure.
Actually, I'm wrong, you can see the top of the button just barely in this picture.  Once I knew where to look it was more visible.

Make the picture really big, then look in the middle and you can just see the droid.  It was running in this photo so the button is latched to the down/hard to see position.  I cropped the bottom photo so you can see it (may need to click on photo to enlarge).

[Image: normal_Sentry_Droid_Button_Pressed_Rear.JPG]
Latching Power? Button in rear of droid when running
When running the power button is hard to see, latched in the "down" position.  The white marks on the side vanish as well (I think)
[Image: d46b6a0911aa8d85991be34b4103caf1.png]

[Image: 19861b7a5a27cf53af6e7713a587b62a.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, that's kinda what I meant. In the photo you shared, it's "off" and the button is clearly raised. In the stage photo the droid was "on" and the button is just barely visible.

I tried to find a button with the black/white markings but haven't been successful Sad I think it's most likely molded in that color, but it could be painted. Even if it is painted I suspect that it was originally two colors, the raised white part when off is a good sentinel to indicate if it's "off" even from a distance.

For the Lego droid it's kinda irrelevant since such a button wouldn't be Lego anyway, but I think Lara will try to do something to acknowledge the original button.
(10-17-2016, 08:35 AM)alr2 Wrote: [Image: d46b6a0911aa8d85991be34b4103caf1.png]

[Image: 19861b7a5a27cf53af6e7713a587b62a.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever noticed that it seems like Oliver is always smiling in these droid related photos and Lee never is?   Smile
(10-17-2016, 04:52 PM)savagecreature Wrote: Have you ever noticed that it seems like Oliver is always smiling in these droid related photos and Lee never is?   Smile
Hmm, interesting observation. Maybe he's like me and self-conscious about his smile?
(10-17-2016, 05:32 PM)kresty Wrote:
(10-17-2016, 04:52 PM)savagecreature Wrote: Have you ever noticed that it seems like Oliver is always smiling in these droid related photos and Lee never is?   Smile
Hmm, interesting observation.  Maybe he's like me and self-conscious about his smile?

No, he is just talking!!  Unfortunately I am currently not worrying about the button as I expect it just turns on the lights.
Just noticed the new MSE greeblies are straight up and NOT bent ... Crap!
(10-18-2016, 11:56 PM)Murasaki Wrote: Just noticed the new MSE greeblies are straight up and NOT bent ... Crap!

That's always been a point of discussion... probably the new mice have just been updated, after all, it's been a few years.

Put a servo on them so they can be either way?